TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From time to time while im on the free way my car would buck and jerk and I would put my foot on the gas and nothing would happen as far as engine response or the RPM hand would raise up but no go. Then after a few moments everything would go back to normal. Sometimes at lights the RPM hand would jump around badly then hold at like 1500 rpms for a moment then die. After i start it it would run fine.

I put a new engine in from a 99 Grand Marquis with 60K miles on it so i know the sensors are good on the engine and i kept the old 183K transmission. Im thinking the PCM maybe going bad or the wiring harness is getting old and the wires are shorting out. any ideas?

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
It could be. First check your MAF and clean it out with some Isopropyl alchohol and a Q tip... Is your Check Engine light on? If it is go get it read at Autozone or Pepboys... it's free! But clean your MAF and IAC and after you do that tell us how it goes. What exactly is happening?? Say your car is idleing at 800rpm, your at a stoplight, then your tach just jumps around, while your car is still idleing normally?

·
W&S Motorsports
161 Posts
silvershot said:
From time to time while im on the free way my car would buck and jerk and I would put my foot on the gas and nothing would happen as far as engine response or the RPM hand would raise up but no go. Then after a few moments everything would go back to normal. Sometimes at lights the RPM hand would jump around badly then hold at like 1500 rpms for a moment then die. After i start it it would run fine.

I put a new engine in from a 99 Grand Marquis with 60K miles on it so i know the sensors are good on the engine and i kept the old 183K transmission. Im thinking the PCM maybe going bad or the wiring harness is getting old and the wires are shorting out. any ideas?
Check the TPS connector and wireing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts