TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new battery yesterday to replace my original Motorcraft that finally died. Started the bird a little while ago (after dark) and noticed that interior lights and headlights were fluctuating a little. Not much, but noticeable. Going down the street, my battery shaped idiot light (Alt?) blinked a couple of times. I took it back home and shut it off, then tried to start it again and it started right up.
What's going on?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Could be some corrosion on the terminals, or a bad connection. I would check that first, as it is free and easy. If it is still acting up, it maybe the alt. going bad, I think that most parts stores will check them for free, have to remove it first though. You could check it yourself if you have a multi-meter, not sure what reading it is supposed to have, someone else may know.
Hope this helps out.

Scott

·
Registered
298 Posts
Might have got a bum battery. If your alternator decided to take a dump, it would be weird coincidence.

Have them recheck the battery. If it is your alternator get one from Dan Newman

1-405-813-7208

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
billabong132132 said:
Have them recheck the battery. If it is your alternator get one from Dan Newman

1-405-813-7208
Actually, it's easier for me to just drive to Joe Cooper Ford...I live just about 8 miles away from there....hehe.
j/k

Thanks for the info. I don't do electrical very well, so whenever I have a problem or glitch, I'm not real good at figuring it out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i'd be willing to bet all my marbles on the alternator. it ain't held but by a couple of bolts, the harder part is putting the drivebelt back on. Whether it was the voltage regulator or the alt. itself, go to AutoZone and get a new or rebuilt one for a very reasonable price, under $80. if it's the voltage regulator, then you still may as well buy a new alt. b/c it comes all together as one. oh yeah, if you wanna check it via multi-meter, then the reading will be a 12v constant signal, just be sure you ground that probe to something solid, you should get a 12.5-12.8 reading while the engine is off,I believe.

·
Registered
298 Posts
crisqob said:
i'd be willing to bet all my marbles on the alternator. it ain't held but by a couple of bolts, the harder part is putting the drivebelt back on. Whether it was the voltage regulator or the alt. itself, go to AutoZone and get a new or rebuilt one for a very reasonable price, under $80. if it's the voltage regulator, then you still may as well buy a new alt. b/c it comes all together as one. oh yeah, if you wanna check it via multi-meter, then the reading will be a 12v constant signal, just be sure you ground that probe to something solid, you should get a 12.5-12.8 reading while the engine is off,I believe.
Dude read wtf you just said.

#1, his sig says he has a AED, that makes the alternator a little tricky.

#2, autozone alternators are crap. Get a motorcraft one.

#3, The alternator has to be turned to produce current. So checking it with the engine off is the most stupid thing I have ever heard.

The alternator should produce a minimum of 13 volts at idle.
14-16 is ideal. But that only tells you half the story. You need to use a ammeter so see how much current she's pumping out.

Obviously you have no marbles to bet with.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You can check amps all day long but unless you put a load on it, the closer to 80 amps the better, you won't know if it can hold up. And yes, with the car off you will show 12-12.5 volts at the battery, with the engine running you should get 14-16 volts. By the sounds of it, your regulator is on it's way out the door.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had another thought (actually wasn't mine but my bosses).
I'm a bit of a bad boy and I haven't changed my belt since I did the AED install in April of 2000. *hangs head in shame* The belt only has about 17,000 miles on it, but that's over a 4 year period. There's no cracks in it that I could see when I last had it off, but my bosses thought was that the belt could be slipping during operation due to age/glaze. I'm gonna go get a belt tomorrow.
Does that sound plausible?

·
Registered
286 Posts
The 85 amp alt in my 92 TC put out just fine, but the voltage would flicker at idle - just a flaky regulator with no harm done. The new Ford 130 amp alt I swapped in puts out evenly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts