TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently we have wireless in our house but due to buildings/walls the range is limited out in the building site of our farm. What is the best way to extend range on a 3 acre site without trenching wire.

2nd, my folks want to get the same internet as me (rf receiver mounted on a building pointed at a tower a few miles away) but due to their windbreak could only put it on their machine shed to get line of sight to the tower. How would you wirelessly get internet in their house ~100 yards away. Shed has steel siding/roof.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Repeaters.

You will need to setup a repeater towards the edge of your wireless range closets to your house, try and have another one somewhere as close as to the middle as possible, then another one on the outer most edge of the location(s) of that second repeater I just mentioned. Of course, this is the consumer grade solution.

For your folks' place getting internet, I think the best way for them to get internet would be to setup some sort of laser wireless connection.

When I was doing my undergrad in network communications, one class I had to do was wireless communications. When doing my research for this class, I came across a company called LightPointe which specializes in this sort of stuff. The equipment they have may be spendy, but they will offer every solution you need that isn't consumer based.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Since HW from Litepointe is more industrial/campus vs consumer grade, my first inclination would also be to solve it with consumer hardware and open source SW.
- A pair of WIFI Access points with ability to attach external antennas and run DD-WRT.
- DD-WRT is open source firmware that runs on a ton of popular WIFI APs. I'd configure them to work in bridge mode (or replace the main router with this one) and boost the transmit strength to the max the HW can handle.
- 2.4GHz point to point Cantennas (proven to work over multi-mile distances). Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Yagi-WiFi-Antenna-Directional-Connector/dp/B00NQGU4SS/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1467826556&sr=1-1&keywords=cantenna

I then had an epiphany that there are already companies which have solved this problem (long distance WIFI/wireless internet) while also being extremely price sensitive. Example: Monkeybrains.net is a popular WISP in San Francisco that actually offers gigabit internet over wireless P2P links. Their internet pricing is competitive/cheaper than Comcast/etc and the HW costs $250 to buy. Clearly, $1500/site would be too much for the customer base to justify.

At this WIKI article -- you can see comments about companies deploying solutions from routerboard.com
RouterBoard.com : Products
RouterBoard.com : LHG 5

I then found this point to point product @ $59/ea price point. That's probably cheaper than it would cost for just the antennas+WIFI.
* It's designed for outdoor deployment.
* It's designed for point to point deployment.
* Power over ethernet means one wire you would need to run to the antenna at each side.
* CON: You may need to buy something to inject power over ethernet if your router doesn't support it (not likely). Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0XP-0020-00009

Look at the distances supported:
http://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/antenas-160404123306.pdf

In your shoes, Id roll the dice and order these things.
-g

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Instead of repeaters, I would set up a point to point bridge. I use Engenius stuff for this a lot, they can move a lot of data, are line of sight, and have a mile range if I remember correctly.

Buy two of these, set them up with a wds bridge and then set up a second wireless access point at your remote point to provide local wireless (on a different channel than the WDS bridge and your home wifi) so that all the items in the remote spot can easily get attached.

I do this for several sites, they work great, give good speed, and minimal fuss.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Are there just point of use on the 3ac or you need 100% coverage, if the former why not just directional antennas.
Or power line network with WIFI repeaters.

I too use a WISP, on our end not a lot to do besides mount the receiver higher or see if the ISP can mount the transmitter higher. How high are the wind breaks? I have 30-50' tress and thank to hardware upgrades almost no problems now (ISP side).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts