TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my dads 96 cougar, engine light is one and went to vato zone to get it checked.

1.- They told me that the back O2 sensors needed replacement.
2.- PO401: EGR. Were do I start checking?! They said that the EGR solenoid is faulty, egr pressure and position sensor failed.
3.- P1443: EVAP Canister. Is that the black canister on the passenger side?! They told me that the pressure sensor failed, or that it might be a blocked hose and evap purge valve is closed....

What ya guys think?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
for 1443, replace the canister and solenoid, but also, get some new generic heater hose. the reason being,...when i replaced mine, the hose was cracked and dry rotted, thus necessitating replacement.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
p1443 is usually dry rotted vac hoses

·
5,650 Posts
On my dads 96 cougar, engine light is one and went to vato zone to get it checked.

1.- They told me that the back O2 sensors needed replacement.
2.- PO401: EGR. Were do I start checking?! They said that the EGR solenoid is faulty, egr pressure and position sensor failed.
3.- P1443: EVAP Canister. Is that the black canister on the passenger side?! They told me that the pressure sensor failed, or that it might be a blocked hose and evap purge valve is closed....

What ya guys think?
P0401 is low EGR flow. It's most likely either carbon buildup in the EGR passage or a bad DPFE. It's cheaper to unbolt the valve and check to see if the passage needs to be cleaned first.

P1443 happens all the time on these cars. As it was said the emission lines to the EVAP canister dry-rot. Most of the time just replacing them will suffice. Make sure to use emissions line.

·
Registered
184 Posts
p1443

My daughter's p1443 was a rotted hose beside the engine on the lower shelf. My p1443 was just removing and reconnecting the electricals at the can.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well.. Bought the solenoid for the EVAC and changed the hoses and the code went away. Also, I changed the EGR gasket and cleaned it and I still have the code for the EGR. How can I check if its the EGR solenoid or the EGR?!
Aaahh.. Also, when I restarted the EEC, the codes for the back O2 sensors went away:confused:

·
Registered
518 Posts
If the O2 code comes back you can either get a MIL eliminator kit or the xcal2 can take care of that nasty lil problem as well. I mean do you really care if your catalyst is working or not?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the O2 code comes back you can either get a MIL eliminator kit or the xcal2 can take care of that nasty lil problem as well. I mean do you really care if your catalyst is working or not?
No not really.. Just as long as I get good MPG...

·
5,650 Posts
If you apply vacuum to the EGR valve and the engine stumbles pretty well, you can pretty much rule out the valve itself. That doesn't mean it's the solenoid though. EGR flow is measured by the DPFE, so either the DPFE is measuring less flow than there actually is, or the EVR isn't regulating the vacuum to the valve correctly. The DPFE is a known item to fail on these cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts