TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A boneyard near me will sell a DOHC 4.6 out of a 97 Mark for $200 and they'll pull it, however, as the guy there put it, "It's $200 and good luck". Since my end plan for it would be to have it bored and sleeved to 3.7" (To make for 5.0L displacement), pretty much the only thing I would have to worry about is a cracked block and/or heads. It APPEARS to be in good shape, but it's missing the intake manifold (someone already pilfered it).

There where three revisions of the DOHC heads, right? The "C" heads are 99+ as near as I can tell, but where along the line did they switch from "A" to "B"?

My plan was to try and source a set of "C" heads and probably a Mach intake (Should fit under a 96/97 hood, right?) for the project. Which would be better for power potential; the heads on the 97 motor with IMRC's, or stick with my "plan", sell the 97 heads (I'm assuming they're "B" heads) and get "C" heads?

So do you think the "$200 and good luck" is a good/safe risk considering what I'm planning on doing with the block? Any good way to tell if it's good?

·
Super Moderator
16,986 Posts
There are no A heads, B and C refer to the shape of the ports.

B heads are all pretty much the same, C heads are 99+ and there were the 99-01 style, they were revised for the 2000 cobra R, they were revised again for all DOHC models in 2003, and theres the ford GT heads (similar to the Y2K R).

The intake should fit with the hood bracing removed on a 96/7 hood, but it will be extreemly tight, if you have taller than stock motor mounts i'd say you'll need a cowl hood.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Errr... My bad. Thanks for the correction. So I guess a manifold off one of the two or three older marks would work on the 97 motor? I have stock mounts, so shouldn't be much issue then. Guess if it would be tight under the 96/97 hood, it wouldn't have a chance under the 95 hood.

There are no A heads, B and C refer to the shape of the ports.
B heads are all pretty much the same, C heads are 99+ and there were the 99-01 style, they were revised for the 2000 cobra R, they were revised again for all DOHC models in 2003, and theres the ford GT heads (similar to the Y2K R).

The intake should fit with the hood bracing removed on a 96/7 hood, but it will be extreemly tight, if you have taller than stock motor mounts i'd say you'll need a cowl hood.

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
I'm pretty sure the intake on a 97 mark won't clear a 96/97 hood, but I haven't found out by how much yet.

I think a dent about 2" tall by 5" long will make it clear, but I wont' know for sure until I get it in.

The Throttle body is on top of the manifold, kinda, and is taller than the earlier one.

Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
16,986 Posts
I'm pretty sure the intake on a 97 mark won't clear a 96/97 hood, but I haven't found out by how much yet.

I think a dent about 2" tall by 5" long will make it clear, but I wont' know for sure until I get it in.

The Throttle body is on top of the manifold, kinda, and is taller than the earlier one.

Hope that helps.
I'd somewhat agree, the B head intakes have alot more bulk, I do still believe the 99/01, mach 1 setup will clear though. The alternator has an extra inch or 2 of clearance to the hood and you can use that as a reference between the SOHC and DOHC for heights, the 96-98 cobra and 97-98 mark sits inches above it, the newer ones are almost flat with it, the TB portion is right where the SOHC elbow and TB are and the overall height isnt much more between the two.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
So do you think the "$200 and good luck" is a good/safe risk considering what I'm planning on doing with the block? Any good way to tell if it's good?

If you can spin the crank with a wrench and they will pull the motor for $200 for everything I would be on that like Bill Clinton on Monica's dress.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts