TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one make aluminum idler pulleys for the 4.6 like the ones for mthe sc that have replaceable bearings?

What should I do for my heads on my 4.6 I have pi heads but I want something ported or with more flow, now I know I could port my heads but I was just curious if anyone made aftermarket heads for a descent price. Any way I am thinking about hitech cams too and I really want an aggressive cam with a non pi motor and pi heads I will have to get pistons with valve clearance right. Just like the comp 278ah cams.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
The bearings can be replaced in the stock idlers. Those steel pulleys are going to hold up better than an aluminum pulley.

For cams as large as you're talking you're really going to need to go to a flat top piston to get enough compression. You'll also need a lot of gear and converter. I really feel that is too much cam for a street car, even ones like the 270AH like to be shifted at 7k. The only aftermarket head is the SVO.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where can I get the svo heads at, also on the cams I have 262 ah and well I was looking at the hitech stage 2 or stage 3 I will definately get a retune and I have 3.73 gears and locking rear end. I have a mark 8 tc right now but thats not enough for the cam that I want. I appreciate the info so far, I just dont know if the 262 cams are gonna be much better than pi cams. I want a lope thats really aggressive.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
isnt the svo head really hard to get? and really expensive, there not really worth it are they.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
The head is worth it if you want every HP you can get.

When I say a lot of gear and converter I'm talking 4k converter and 4.30 gear minimum.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow that really sucks I guess that is out of the question I was thinking around 3200 well I guess its on to a smaller cam. whats your opinion on the 262 ah cams.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Those are a nice cam for a street car.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put a wtb on corral for svo heads but I highly doubt I will get them cause they are really hard to find I may just do some stage 2 or 3 pi heads.

·
The Parts Guy
7,304 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1034754

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1037632

hope you have at least $2000 :)

that said, it is difficult to find SVOs that are 'like new', as you can see from those threads

I think you'll be better off with the ported PI heads that Nick McKinney sells....he sells them fully prepped and ready to slap on.....excellent pricing too (PM him for more details).....not only will they flow very close to SVO heads, but you will retain the high compression ratio effect that PI heads have when installed on an NPI block......you can also find a set of early mark VIII rods and pistons for probably around $100ish for even more compression (~12:1)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I was going to have around 4000 in sept. and so I was trying to figure out what mods I was gonna do, I was only planning to spend around 2000 on something I just felt svo would be better cause they could be ported and get more are out, but I know the valves are really close so I didnt know if svo heads could be ported much more than what they come with. See I already have some bbk long tubes I will be beating the hell out of my shock tower area and exhaste tunnel area to get them on I have talke to chuck about a set of motor mounts about 1 inch taller than stock. I also have a jmodded transmission with a mark 8 tc and trac loc 3.73 rear end gears an mark 8 driveshaft ( 2 piece though) and those 262 ah cams. I already have pi cams in my non pi heads and on tune on a sct chip I will of course get a retune when I am done with everything. I have a set of pi heads that need to be milled, ported, and line bored. I just felt if I was gonna do that work to the pi heads maybe I could get svo heads. I also have a 255 lph fuel pump. Well I have all of this stuff already, but if I buy different stuff the thing I have left will go on the 4.6 cougar I have with a blown head gasket.

Any way with all this crap what would you guys do, Oh yeah I am also gettin a 78 or 79 ranchero with a 351 so that will be another money pit.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
IMHO - No point in doing SVO heads unless you are also planning some 7000+RPM shifts and building a mild race motor with the supporting chassis and drivetrain mods.

If you already have a set of 262AH I would use the stock NPI pistons with the PI heads. The Mark pistons will take you to the limit of fuel quality with those cams and PI heads.

If those PI heads need to be line bored I would take them to the metal scrap, there is no easy way to fix that "properly" or cheaply. A line bore will move the cam location in relation to the rockers and lifters, and the aftermarket bearings kits are troublesome as well. Both options cost about as much as getting another set of good castings. I have sent many PI heads to be melted for this reason alone.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah I bought some flat top 4 valve pistons and really didnt do my research found out I was going to be getting such high compression that I would have to run different gas and well gas is too damn high for me. I use 87 all the time and my chip allows me to flip it and go to 92 octane which I use occasionally. Any way I was just hoping to pay around 1000 for heads because I would like to do a little work to my 5.0 too and I want to save a little money for just in case. Any way I appreciate all the info it really helps.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I use 87 all the time and my chip allows me to flip it and go to 92 octane which I use occasionally.

You need to make sure whatever PI heads you get that nobody messed with the swirl dam if you want to still run 87 octane with a head swap. I think its possible without retarding the timing too much with the larger Comp 262AH cams, PI heads, and NPI pistons. Close but possible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts