TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ya'll,

I'm getting ready to order a couple of those "Monroe Quick-Struts" from RockAuto.com.

I have been reading tons of posts on here about these Monroe Quick-Struts and various other front suspension related posts.....but, I still have some questions (below):

1) The procedure in the "Haynes Repair Manual" for removal and installation of the "Front shock absorber/coil spring assembly"....talks about separating the stabilizer link from the spindle, and also disconnecting the upper control arm from the spindle. Is all of that really necessary to just swap out the front shock absorber/coil spring assembly with a Monroe Quick-Strut? Can anybody clarify?

2) If only a Monroe Quick-Strut assembly is installed.....is an alignment required afterward? I thought I have read a couple of posts on here saying that an alignment may not be required if only the quick-strut was installed. Can anybody clarify?

3) Is there anything else I should be aware of before I start this job of removing my old (original) front shock absorber/coil spring assembly....and installing a Monroe Quick-Strut?

By the way....we don't need to rehash that old subject about "struts" vs. "shocks" on our cars. There are already plenty of posts on this forum about that subject.

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,597 Posts
Hey Ya'll,

I'm getting ready to order a couple of those "Monroe Quick-Struts" from RockAuto.com.

I have been reading tons of posts on here about these Monroe Quick-Struts and various other front suspension related posts.....but, I still have some questions (below):

1) The procedure in the "Haynes Repair Manual" for removal and installation of the "Front shock absorber/coil spring assembly"....talks about separating the stabilizer link from the spindle, and also disconnecting the upper control arm from the spindle. Is all of that really necessary to just swap out the front shock absorber/coil spring assembly with a Monroe Quick-Strut? Can anybody clarify?

The assembly extends further than the UCA will let it articulate, same for the stabilizer end link. It also allows clearance for removing the whole assembly

2) If only a Monroe Quick-Strut assembly is installed.....is an alignment required afterward? I thought I have read a couple of posts on here saying that an alignment may not be required if only the quick-strut was installed. Can anybody clarify?

It's always a good idea to get an alignment after suspension work, however in the case of shocks alone (unlike struts), they aren't critical to suspension geometry. With new springs though I'd recommend an alignment to compensate for sag.

3) Is there anything else I should be aware of before I start this job of removing my old (original) front shock absorber/coil spring assembly....and installing a Monroe Quick-Strut?

a BFH, breaker bar, and a punch help with lower shock bolt removal immensely. Make sure you put a jack under the LCA as well

By the way....we don't need to rehash that old subject about "struts" vs. "shocks" on our cars. There are already plenty of posts on this forum about that subject.

Yep, they're shocks by fact so there's no point arguing.

Thanks!!
Welcome:D

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just remove the pinch bolt on the upper control arm and unbolt the shock assembly work it out. You probably want to change the lower shock bolt at the control arm (cheap $10 I think At rock auto) and torque everything back to specs. There is a sticky on here with the specs. Changed mine and it did not seem to effect the alignment.

·
Registered
613 Posts
point to ponder: Those were installed on my car last year, two years ago max.. the coil springs were obviously not painted, unlike separate replacement springs I'd bought several years ago and I assume are typical.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts