TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. I'm planning on Seafoaming my car today and I did a search on how to do it. As I was reading some people said it was ok to put Seafoam in through the oil fill hole as long as you drain your oil and others said not to because you would have to pull your pan. They were speaking of sludge getting into the oil pickup. I don't want to pull the pan so is it safe to pour Seafoam into the oil and how long do I let the car run if I do? The car has 179k miles and was getting an oil change today so I figured I'd give it a shot.

2. I am planning a PI head/intake swap for next spring/summer. When I finish the swap will I need to get a chip right away or will the car run fine for a few weeks till I get the money to get a chip?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I can answer your second question. You need a chip when you do a head swap to correct for the increased air intake.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid you were gonna say that. Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil change put off til tomorrow. My dad thinks Seafoam will ruin my engine because it is high mileage. Still need an answer for my first question.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
dew the thunder said:
Oil change put off til tomorrow. My dad thinks Seafoam will ruin my engine because it is high mileage. Still need an answer for my first question.
The engine in my car has over 300,000 miles on. I perform engine flushes on it annually, and have used Seafoam three times for the flush, most recently on 11/19/05.

Auto-rx is an internal engine cleaner worth considering. It's a lot pricier than Seafoam, but have used it also: www.auto-rx.com.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IronChopz said:
The engine in my car has over 300,000 miles on.
Wow. 300k... that's crazy. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
dew the thunder said:
1. I'm planning on Seafoaming my car today and I did a search on how to do it. As I was reading some people said it was ok to put Seafoam in through the oil fill hole as long as you drain your oil and others said not to because you would have to pull your pan. They were speaking of sludge getting into the oil pickup. I don't want to pull the pan so is it safe to pour Seafoam into the oil and how long do I let the car run if I do? The car has 179k miles and was getting an oil change today so I figured I'd give it a shot.

2. I am planning a PI head/intake swap for next spring/summer. When I finish the swap will I need to get a chip right away or will the car run fine for a few weeks till I get the money to get a chip?

Thanks!
Seafoam (if you read the can) states that it evaporates in the crankcase, therefore is doesn't "dilute" the oil very long. I've used it in my fairly new minivan's motor and poured it in, drove 15 miles, got home and changed the oil. No problems at all.

As far as the intake swap needing a chip, it's not necessary. The computer will adjust for the increased amount of air entering the motor via the MAF transfer function. Now, I would definately get a chip or better yet, a dyno tune, but it's not a must after the swap.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
dew the thunder said:
...I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!
You're welcome. I figure that if the oil changes have been done regularly, performing an engine flush will not hurt at all.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Embalmer said:
Seafoam (if you read the can) states that it evaporates in the crankcase, therefore is doesn't "dilute" the oil very long. I've used it in my fairly new minivan's motor and poured it in, drove 15 miles, got home and changed the oil. No problems at all.

As far as the intake swap needing a chip, it's not necessary. The computer will adjust for the increased amount of air entering the motor via the MAF transfer function. Now, I would definately get a chip or better yet, a dyno tune, but it's not a must after the swap.

Hes also wanting to do a headswap to which you do need a chip for. re-read his first post thats why i said he needed the chip

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
MattsLE97 said:
Hes also wanting to do a headswap to which you do need a chip for. re-read his first post thats why i said he needed the chip
Somehow I managed to do the headswap without needing a chip. What exactly do you NEED the chip for???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts