TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guy's I know there's people here that know this. My cousin has a 95 t-bird with a 4.6L, He took the car to a shop and they told him he need's a new engine 80,000 miles. I went out to his house to work on it yesterday. What look's like happened is the belt tensioner went out or bad and was cutting a whole in the timing cover. We took the timing cover off it never hit the timing chains which makes me think the timing did not jump. What all should I check for to get him up and running again? Casper has his engine that he took out should I pick up his engine and swap parts to get his running again? I can get the timing gasket's from my work so wont heed those. all I would need is valve cover gasket's. Any advice on what I should do? FYI on a tight budget!

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
i thought these were interference motors? If the timing jumped would you still be able to turn it over by hand? like by putting a ratchet on the crank and turning it over slowly to make sure it does no damage? I guess the best bet would be to pull the valve covers and timing cover to check all that, then get ahold of a timing cover or whatever is needed.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the same thing. We pulled the valve covers off and the timing cover off last night and it turned fine. everything looked like it was moving ok.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey anybody know if the timing cover's are interchangeable?

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
96+ will fit on a 94/95 but one of the bolt holes near the water pump wont line up correctly so seal it up, or get the proper cover

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright that makes sense porkchop!!! Thank's guy's I'll see if I can get one for the 94 95.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guy's I got his car runnign This past Sunday but there's a real rough idle and when you put it in Reverse it want's to stall. All the vac lines are plugged in all the sensors are plugged in, and no check engine light? Any Idea on what it could be? We pulled off the idle vac pump or whatever it's called and cleand the carbon off of it cleaned the throttle and still rough.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes sir!!!! looked just like that!!!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
97qwikcat said:
Hey guy's I got his car runnign This past Sunday but there's a real rough idle and when you put it in Reverse it want's to stall. All the vac lines are plugged in all the sensors are plugged in, and no check engine light? Any Idea on what it could be? We pulled off the idle vac pump or whatever it's called and cleand the carbon off of it cleaned the throttle and still rough.
Guy's could this be a clogged fuel filter?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright I seriously need help!!! We still haven't got his car running right and it's been a month now. This is what's going on there is a real rough idle and when you put it in gear the rpm's just drop and wants to stall out. I pulled the cover off a few weeks ago and checked the timing chains to see if they jumped and what I did was looked at the crank gear (the dot) and counted up to the cam gear on the pass side and had 23 links to the dot on the pass cam gear. Did the same thing on the driver side and had 23 links both ways to the cam gear dot. This leads me to beleive the timing is right. I just need help on this I want to get his car running right again so he doesn't off the car and get some foreign pos.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
What makes you think the problem is cam timing?

Have you cleaned your MAF lately? Where does the car idle in park? If you increase throttle input, does the idle issue go away? If you rev the motor, how long does it take for the RPMs to return to normal?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The mechanics at my work think its a timing problem.
The Maf has not been cleaned and I put a voltmeter to it to terminal c and d and it read 1.3 volt the chilton's says it should be .5 volts at idle.
In park the car idles about 500 rpm's
Increasing the throttle a little bit does help it, and it takes about 2 seconds to return to 500 rpm's from 1000.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Might wanna clean the maf just for grins. If nothing else, when it runs, it may run better ;) that voltage thing would definately be something to check into.

Might want to play with the Idle Air Control if you can rule out the MAF. if the problem completely goes away once the revs are lifted, the problem could be that its stuck idling too low. I was having some bad stoumbling problems when my IAC went out.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright what I'll do is pull mine off and try it on his if problem goes away bam done know the problem. I also have an old MAF to try on his too. I'll give that a try and see what happens. Thank's man!!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Good luck bro! Hope its something easy like one of those things!

·
Super Moderator
11,173 Posts
It may need to relearn it's settings...

Either of my cougar's run rough until the EEC relearns the settings; I'd try driving it before I tried to dink with the timing; There's no way to adjust it manually, IMHO...

There's a camshaft sensor that gives trouble, and a crank sensor that gives trouble; those might have loosened up in the frontcover swap...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Is it missing, running rough? What issues are you having? Have you checked for vacuum leaks? There's a rubber vacuum tee down by the throttle body on the 94/95s that rots apart and makes a huge leak. That happened to mine and it made it run like crap. That's the only other thing I can think of besides the MAF or IAC.

-Rob

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To me it seem's like there's a slight miss when you gun the throttle in park.
There's no vacuum leaks that I could see. My opinion is it look's and seems like it's running on 4 cylinders instead of 8 I will be going out to his house Sunday because he's an hour away from me and I will check all of the thing's you guy's have mentioned. Thank's alot for the help guy's!!!!!!!:D :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts