TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is something for all you 4.6 owners that haven't had the intake crack on you yet. Mine cracked late last week so I dropped my 97 Bird off at the local dealer to have the intake replaced. Well I got a call back from them about an hour or so after dropping it off telling me that my intake is NOT covered by the recall. I just find it strange that my intake cracked in the area that is described in the recall. I have since ordered the parts from Max at Five Star, and plan on doin the replacement this weekend. Has anyone else come across this problem with Ford, also what are the chances that I could have ended up with an older intake that is covered by the recall?

A couple of other thing before I am done. Does anyone know if there are any special tools that will be needed in doing this replacement? Are there any words of wisdom that I should hear b4 I jump into this task?

Christopher

·
Registered
143 Posts
The warranty on the intake manifold is only good for 7 years after the original date of sale. (My car's expires on August 17th! CRAP!) Check to see when your car was first sold. (to the guy who bought it new, not when you bought it used or anything like that)

James

·
Registered
143 Posts
OOPS! Yours is a 97! you should still be good.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ford goes by the VIN and build date, in 97 they discovered the problem and put an upgraded intake, still with the plastic crossover. Mine cracked back at the heater hose and I tried to get it replaced, Ford was no help, everybody I talked to said that my car had the upgraded intake (all this happened before the one with the aluminum crossover came out). I even had a friend of mine that worked at a dealer try to see if he could arrange to get it replaced under warranty but no luck there. So, I just sucked it up and bought one and replaced it myself.
The install isn't too bad. It took me about 3 hrs to do it, but I kept getting interuputed at the garage by people admiring the car, and I took my time to replace it. The only special tool you may need it the tool to disconnect the fuel lines from the rails, I did not disconect them, just loosed the bolts holding the rails down and worked the intake out with the fuel lines attached. You may need and EGR gasket, mine got torn during removal. I didn't disconnect the EGR line at the exhaust either.
All and all, not too bad for someone with minor automotive knowledge, my tip would be to be sure to label everything that you disconnect too make sure that it gets plugged back in correctly and that you don't forget anything. You will have to drain the coolant( if it isn't already all over your motor), so be sure to have new stuff to go in. There is a torque spec for the intake bolts, 18 in/lbs. I believe, don't have the Haynes manual handy.
Hope this helps out, good luck in the swap.

Scott

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer that I took it to pulled it up on there computers and told me that I was supposed to have the upgraded intake. I then asked a favor of Max out a Five Star, for him to ask his service people out there to do a look up and make sure that my dealer wasn't blowing smoke and he came up with the same thing. SOOO right then and there I ordered the parts and had them shipped 3 day and they will be here on friday. With the club discounts this is only setting me back just over 200$ for the intake, all gaskets and shipping. It wasn't half as bad as I figured it would be.

Scott thanx for the idea of not taking the lines free from the rails. That was the only thing that I saw when I looked quickly at the intake. My dad has torn down ford engines for years but has never done anything more to a modular other than change the oil.

If anyone knows of anything else that could help me out, I will be doing this tear down on sunday, please let me know.

Christopher

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the Haynes book, so if you need the torque specs I'll give you them. I took my intake off my 3.8L last week and it's not that bad. Only problem was I broke a bolt, so i just left it in there. I recommend what Scott Suzanne didso you don't have to screw around with the injectors.

Good Luck

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you could give me the torque specs I would appreciate it. I have a ford service CD but I seemed to have misplaced it. :leftright

Christopher

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
its not hard, ive removed and replaced mine its not big deal set aside atleast 3-4 hrs. after doing it 3 times, ive got it down to about an 2+hrs

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was reading http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12-techinfo/tsb/R97M91a3.PDF
It seems that they *only* perform the swap for free *if* you have leakage in the exact right spot.

I have a coolant leak where the aluminum thermostat housing connects to the plastic manifold.
I'm going by the Ford dealer tomorrow, but I'm unsure whether they'll replace my manifold for free...

See http://ivo.nu/photos/thunderbird/v8_engine for a view on my engine, it seems that I have the 'old' plastic version, right? Car was built 11/96 so I should be eligible...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well your mfg date is good for the recall. but not sure about the place of the crack. i was told that my crack was in the correct spot but my car didn't qualify for the recall because i had the updated intake.... the crack was almost directly behind the alt. maybe they will fix it for you if not the parts will come to about 218 shipped from five star if you are a tccoa member. well good luck

christopher

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I just dropped the bird off at the shop this morning, and they told me that it would be about 260$ for labor on it. The only reason that I am taking it down there is because I just don't have the time to do it, so just going to pay the money and get out of the gas guzzlin F-150 that I am driving right now. They said that they would probably have it done this afternoon.

Christopher

·
Registered
44 Posts
When the intake on my 1997 4.6 cracked, right behind the alternator, I called my local Ford dealer and was told the repair was NOT covered. I supposedly had the new and improved intake on the car.

I later found that if the car was built after May 26 or May 28, 1997 (Can't remember which day) a cracked intake will NOT be covered. My car was built later in the year.

I wrote to William Clay Ford, Jr. and got back a letter from a service representative that, like a slimy politician, avoided answering my direct question, "why are police and fleet cars covered but not T-Birds built after May 1997." I think the answer to that question is obvious. Ford isn't worried if we buy another car from them or not. But they won't do anything to make the big buyers unhappy.

Eddie

1990 5 speed Super Coupe
K&N air filter
Borla stainless steel exhaust
Tokico Shocks
1.5” drop Eibach springs
Competition Limited headlamp harness
Under drive accessory pulleys
Overdrive supercharger pulley

1997 4.6 LX - Sports Suspension Package
Stock wheels, Goodyear Eagle 225/60/16 RS-A tires
Stock Traction-Lok axle, 3:27 gears
Leather, sunroof, electric antenna
Air Silencer removed, K&N air filter
Third cat removed, Magnaflow mufflers
1.25 rear Addco bar
Hayden transmission cooler
Competition Limited headlamp harness with 80/100 bulbs
1st Generation Jerry (Inject-Tech) Chip
KDC-X859 Kenwood Excelon head – Sirius ready with CD/MP 3 player
2 – 5 x 7 Boston Acoustics Rally speakers in front
2 – 5 x 7 Kenwood Excelon Speakers in back
265 watt Phoenix Gold amp
10 CD Kenwood changer

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 97 has a date of 8/97 on the inside drivers side door post. It start'd leaking at the thermostat 2 days ago. I thought it might be the "O" ring but after replacing it there is still a leak. Tomorrow I call the ford dealer to see what's up. If they have an updated intake to fix the problem of cracking...doesn't that usually mean that it would not be expected to crack also? Will post my findings from the dealer.

I went to Alldata and found this. It looks like it was after my car was built so hopefully they will stand behind it. Plus the airbag thing.

Bulletins for 1997 Ford Thunderbird V8-281 4.6L VIN W SFI

Safety Recalls
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title 00B33 MAR 00 Recall - Airbag Deactivation Shunt Replacement

General Recalls
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title 97M91 MAR 99 Campaign - Intake Manifold Replacement

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
too bad only works for residents of Alabamba.. would love to jump in on that one...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can tell you that you will not get the replacement manifold for your car paid for. Your car will be out of range just like mine. Message me if you want some part numbers and some prices.

Christopher

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
my car rolled off the line on 12/96.. so i still have some time it seems.

i'm just waiting.. cuz the way my luck runs??? the best thing that could happen would be for it to happen during sshs3 i suppose, cuz there is a friendly ford dealer right down the road...

JD

P.S. knocking on wood it DON"T happen

1 - 20 of 25 Posts