TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put an Explorer PI intake on my car. The install went great and we just tapped the passenger side rear coolant port out, so that we could have the heater hose run in the stock location. I noticed that there was a leak which I thought might be where the pipe fitting wasn't sealing in the plastic coolant port but upon more inspection I found out that there is a hairline crack at the base of the coolant port. I don't know if it was like that when I bought it or if we did it, but that doesn't even matter now.

I want to know if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it without removing the intake. I have thought about trying to epoxy it but that really will require removing the intake, since it is in a tricky spot. Any other suggestions or creative ideas?

The leak is extremely slow, so it is driveable but the local track officials won't appreciate it much if I start dripping coolant on the track. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Russell

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I suggested jb for this problem in a different thread. Someone else said they had tried it and it failed due to the manifold expanding when the car warms up. Good luck!

Lorne

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
No suggestions on how to patch it. Everyone who says they've tried seems to have failed at it. At least i haven't heard of any successes. I think your just creating more work for yourself before you have to pull it and swap it anyway...

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I would just replace the manifold to prevent any more problems you are going to have with it in the future.I believe KrazyT has an explorer Intake for sale.I am sure he would let it go for a decent realistic price if he still has it.Cut your losses with it now before it becomes a much bigger problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
390 Posts
cracked intake

so replace it. i just went through the same problem with my 4.6, i had a 3 inch hairline crack on mine and tried to epoxy it .it held a good 2 mins before it leaked through the crack i just sealed. i swapped my intake and that problem is solved.now i gotta find out why i still have a slight mis under load.

·
Registered
1 Posts
best to just replace it. i had a crack in the intake manifold by the heater core hose. coolant leak doesn't bother me, i just topped it off every so often, but then it got to a point where the coolant started to pool in the spark plug journals and caused a misfire on cylinder 4.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We are going to try epoxy first. The car has been down for a week already because I was trying to find some pintle discs for the injectors, so i don't really want to wait on more parts. If it doesn't work then so be it, but I am not going to take it off without at least trying some epoxy.

95xbird said:
I would just replace the manifold to prevent any more problems you are going to have with it in the future.I believe KrazyT has an explorer Intake for sale.I am sure he would let it go for a decent realistic price if he still has it.Cut your losses with it now before it becomes a much bigger problem.

Good luck.

I actually bought this one from KrazyT, so it is probably the one that he had for sale.

I was just going to take it off and start over but Dad seems to think that there is a decent chance that he can make it work, so we will see.

Russell

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
We are going to try epoxy first. The car has been down for a week already because I was trying to find some pintle discs for the injectors, so i don't really want to wait on more parts. If it doesn't work then so be it, but I am not going to take it off without at least trying some epoxy.

I actually bought this one from KrazyT, so it is probably the one that he had for sale.

I was just going to take it off and start over but Dad seems to think that there is a decent chance that he can make it work, so we will see.

Russell
Tell your father not to waste his time.Just buy another one.People have tried the to repair these with little luck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
you could try to take a very small dremmel tool bit so that you could half way groove out the crack and use some stuff called plastic welder. it is rated up to 2000 pounds per square inch and is stable up to 400 degrees, though i have never tried it on an intake, i have used it to weld an air box back together on my dirt bike 3 years ago and it is still holding strong.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you could try to take a very small dremmel tool bit so that you could half way groove out the crack and use some stuff called plastic welder. it is rated up to 2000 pounds per square inch and is stable up to 400 degrees, though i have never tried it on an intake, i have used it to weld an air box back together on my dirt bike 3 years ago and it is still holding strong.
Interesting.... I will definitely take a look at it. Thanks.

Russ

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
the only proper solution is replacement

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well now that I read thru this threadand I have done some more reading, it doesn't seem like it is worth the trouble to try anything. I guess I will be ordering another intake. :( There goes my last week for nothing....

Russ

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i would try the plastic welder it will only cost about 8-9 bucks verses a new expensive intake
Great Obucina said that he has used plastic welder and it didn't fix his intake. I really don't have time to spend on trying out a solution that might fail. This is my DD and I have to get it back on the road soon. My dad is only going to let me borrow the "loaner" for so long. If I had time then I would research it some more and try to come up with something. I just thought that someone might have a proven solution for fixing a really small crack, but it seems like it is just the opposite.

Russ

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The original hypothesis turned out to be wrong. I drove the car to work today and when I came in we immediately lifted the hood to observe the coolant. This time we could see it dripping down the backside of the rear coolant fitting. The problem before was that when the coolant started flowing the fittings were cool, so there was coolant at the base of the coolant boss but after it heated up, the coolant was evaporating on the fitting before it could drip.

A little background on the rear coolant fittings. The original fitting was a press fit and we had tapped the Exploder intake for 3/8" NPT. We decided to get a 3/8" NPT to 3/8" NPT coupler and thread the inside of the original press fit fitting. Here is the setup that I am talking about:

It was leaking where the coupler and the original press fit fitting went together. Dad thinks that he cut the threads too deep on it. Anyway....now I have another intake on the way via Jason @ Ford, but if I can figure out how to get these to seal then I won't need it. Anyone know of a 3/8" NPT to 13/16" barb fitting? :D

Russell

1 - 16 of 16 Posts