first set of 15x8 rims
Cragar Rims

Here are the specs:

Soft 8 397 Series Wheel
Finish: Black
Size: 15'' x 8''
Bolt Circle: 5 x 4-1/2''
Rear Spacing: 4''

I will be using these with a 1.25'' spacer.

I having trouble trying to figure out how far they will stick out. Rolling the fender is not a problem for me. But would this work with a nice fat tire installed?

any help would be great

thanks,

~MG~

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I would say on an MN12 with the spacer those would stick out about 1.5 inches.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Looking at these rims for my project:

first set of 15x8 rims
Cragar Rims

Here are the specs:

Soft 8 397 Series Wheel
Finish: Black
Size: 15'' x 8''
Bolt Circle: 5 x 4-1/2''
Rear Spacing: 4''

I will be using these with a 1.25'' spacer.

I having trouble trying to figure out how far they will stick out. Rolling the fender is not a problem for me. But would this work with a nice fat tire installed?

any help would be great

thanks,

~MG~
Actually, a 15x8 with 6" backspacing sits within the wheel wells. With 5" backspacing it sticks out. With 4" with no spacers you'll be way out.

Brad

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I think 1.25 spacers are hub adapters for 4.25 to 4.5 but that is just a guess (as to why someone would take a wheel with zero offset and add negative offset when positive offset is really needed).

·
Registered
740 Posts
I think 1.25 spacers are hub adapters for 4.25 to 4.5 but that is just a guess (as to why someone would take a wheel with zero offset and add negative offset when positive offset is really needed).
I'm thinking that would make thinks rather lopsided.....

·
Registered
368 Posts
Actually, a 15x8 with 6" backspacing sits within the wheel wells. With 5" backspacing it sticks out. With 4" with no spacers you'll be way out.

Brad
I wasnt aware that a 6" backspacing would even fit on these cars. Ive got 15x8 with 5.5 " backspace and it is very tight. With a 275 d/r they barely stick out.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I am trying to get the time to measure mine, but they are close to 6.25 backspacing. I have about 3 mm spacing with the spindle, plenty. Being 9 inches wide (17 diameter) they are flush in front, and a little over .5 inside the rear wheelwell lip at the top. a 15 would need less backspacing.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about the 15x7's? They still have 4 inches of backspace.

I dont know what to exactly calculate, is my problem. My goal is to try and get the rim to fill out as much of the wheel well out to the fender as possible.

Please help me if I understand this correctly:

Looking at a 15x7 rim. Means that the rim has 7" in width. If it has 4 inches backspacing, that means from the mounting surface of the hub INTO the wheel well? If so then that means the remainder of 3 inches pushes out from the mounting surface (the hub) toward the fenderlip? Am I correct?

If the above thought is correct, with a 1.25'' spacer the wheel will come 4.25'' out from the hub. With the added sidewall distance from the tire itself, seems it might give me the look Im aiming for?

Im sure im wrong in my thinking here,

Thanks for the help already and in advance guys!

~MG~

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
look at the pics on my website. i have 15x8's with 5.5 inches of bs. i hubswapped to the correct pattern do not use adapters. i'm also running 275/60 r 15's

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,266 Posts
Ojk

Drill the hubs to 4.5" bolt circle. dont use wheel adaptors. With the hubs and rotors/drums drilled the amount of rims available is much greater. Just dont use adaptors/spacers.

·
Registered
892 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, where can I get them drilled?

I have a very nice brake setup now, and I dont want to change them again, otherwise I would do the SN95 swap.

I know I could use some new bearings up front since they are over 180k.

It seems that without the 1.25'' spacers I could run a 7'' rim with 4 back spacing pretty easy and get the look im looking for.

thanks guys!

~MG~

1 - 13 of 13 Posts