TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG, my sides hurt!!! :rofl: :rofl:

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/trd/2414237399.html

This person has NO clue how difficult it is to research, design, engineer, and fabricate something like this!!!

AND he wants to keep everything:
a complete parts list with the original blueprints & the jig table supplied to me & all proprietary information to be retained exclusively by me.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,919 Posts
Ya, ... right. :tongue:

I'm sure there are a lot of fab shops that are laughing their collective asses off at this one.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Is it just me, or does it seem like that ad was written by somebody who just likes to throw a lot of "shop talk" type words around to sound somewhat "knowledgable" while at the same time, sort of bragging about things they don't have...funny how he would want to retain everything and all rights, etc. when it was all finished up....for a measly 10 grand....don't get me wrong, that's a nice chunk of cash, but a drop in the bucket compared to what that guy wants....hell, it costs 10 grand +++ said and done to build a RWD V8 focus...Or most other "involved" car projects...which doesn't even come close to what this guy is asking...anybody e-mail him and give him a hard time about it?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Wow, this guy is an idiot. If done cheap 20k pay for half that job. Hes asking a ***** ton

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I had the time, I would ask about 30K for the whole job.....and thats doing it at my house.
$30K? I wouldn't touch that job for less than $100K!!

Think of just the materials you will have to provide; steel, stainless steel ($$$$), aluminum, etc for not only the "space frame", but also the jig. Then factor in the cost for the brake systems (a good one will run $1,500 - $2,500 (or higher), suspension systems, steering system, etc. and you're already at $30K just in materials (IMHO).

If I read it right he's only providing the body, engine, (he doesn't even mention what transmission!!!) wheels and tires. You have to provide everything else.

Now factor in just the labor to do the fabrication. From cutting and forming the materials, to fitting and welding said materials. How many hours will it take to just measure, cut, and form the materials (hopefully you own a mandrel tubing bender)? Hundreds of hours of just physical labor will involved.

Oh wait, you also need to build a jig first....

But before you spend a dime on parts or cut the first piece of metal, you have to sit down with a nice CAD program and design the thing almost from scratch. (His blue prints are going to be basically worthless except for maybe the mounting points for the body. When you start changing suspension designs the frame/chassis needs to be adjusted appropriately).

So for $30K you’ll do all that?!?!?! Dang you work cheap. :tongue: :D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
He wants a "Backyard mechanic" who knows what they are doing ... sure.

I'll build a frame, but I cant guarantee it will be "structurally sound" .. im not a structural engineer, just a fabricator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts