TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not mine, but seems like a decent buy for a good basis of a show/strip build or just a clean classic daily driver. If I didn't have 3 kids that I need to cart around from time to time I would consider it for a DD.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/5122751411.html

-Kevin

·
Super Moderator
11,859 Posts
Nice car. I wonder why they replaced the injectors at or prior to 68K?

·
Super Moderator
16,743 Posts
Nice car. I wonder why they replaced the injectors at or prior to 68K?
If I were to guess it's probably been taken to a trusted mechanic for most of it's life and trusted mechanics to people are often only trusted out of convenience and not competence. That's the kind of place where they'll throw parts at the problem and hope it goes away, hence the spring conversion as well.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If I were to guess it's probably been taken to a trusted mechanic for most of it's life and trusted mechanics to people are often only trusted out of convenience and not competence. That's the kind of place where they'll throw parts at the problem and hope it goes away, hence the spring conversion as well.
Um air bag problems sidelined the car for a couple of years and it sat till the gas gummed things up? The dry rotted original tires were replaced at about the same time?

Unless it's a estate car and sat for 6 years while grandpa was in a assisted living facility waiting for the reaper. It does make one want to speculate that it might have been one of those troublesome cars that got parked because something was always acting up.

My moms continental managed to eat three air bags before we converted it. Despite being well maintained and kept religiously clean. This cars in NC where it's nice. Up here in the rust belt the airbags seemed to be far more troublesome. I've seen a LOT of M8's sitting around people's driveways with one end or the other sitting on the ground. I can't blame anyone for installing a coil and shock kit on these cars after the first bag or two blows or the 5th trip to the dealer for some suspension related issue.

The new injectors at 68,000 does seem odd. I don't know about suspicious. But odd.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well if it's like mine the abs module can go bad and still be driven and even pass inspection. It will show mileage but speedo or odometer will not work.

·
Super Moderator
16,743 Posts
Um air bag problems sidelined the car for a couple of years and it sat till the gas gummed things up? The dry rotted original tires were replaced at about the same time?

Unless it's a estate car and sat for 6 years while grandpa was in a assisted living facility waiting for the reaper. It does make one want to speculate that it might have been one of those troublesome cars that got parked because something was always acting up.

My moms continental managed to eat three air bags before we converted it. Despite being well maintained and kept religiously clean. This cars in NC where it's nice. Up here in the rust belt the airbags seemed to be far more troublesome. I've seen a LOT of M8's sitting around people's driveways with one end or the other sitting on the ground. I can't blame anyone for installing a coil and shock kit on these cars after the first bag or two blows or the 5th trip to the dealer for some suspension related issue.

The new injectors at 68,000 does seem odd. I don't know about suspicious. But odd.
I've seen far more broken springs on Tbirds and Cougars than I have actual failed(blown) airbags on Lincolns. Private shops simply suck at diagnosing them and overlook the simplest solutions due to lack of familiarity of a system. It's really not difficult to maintain an air ride system if you know what it entails, and it's way the hell more cost effective to replace the bad O rings in the lines, that are 90% of the time the actual culprit, than it is to get even an el-cheapo coil conversion kit.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I've seen far more broken springs on Tbirds and Cougars than I have actual failed(blown) airbags on Lincolns. Private shops simply suck at diagnosing them and overlook the simplest solutions due to lack of familiarity of a system. It's really not difficult to maintain an air ride system if you know what it entails, and it's way the hell more cost effective to replace the bad O rings in the lines, that are 90% of the time the actual culprit, than it is to get even an el-cheapo coil conversion kit.
+1 Had a few mid 80's conti's very easy system to work on.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Well Matt. This was at the Lincoln Mercury dealer. One would hope they knew what they were doing. Three blown or leaking bags and several sensors. Over the course of 2-3 years. I should add this was not a Mark VIII but the smaller FWD Continental of 94-95. Other than that the car was actually pretty dependable. Other than the 3.8 blew the head gaskets. 18 miles out of warrenty.

·
Registered
984 Posts
KevinM,

That is a pretty car! And you know, there are three seatbelts in the back..............

1 - 9 of 9 Posts