TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking the front cover off my 94 engine to put it on my 04 engine. With the enigne out of the car, how do I get the crank shaft bolt off so I can remove the pulley.

Later,
jay

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
An impact wrench would do.

Harbor Freight Tools sells an electric one if you don't have an air compressor set-up. This one currently sells for $50. There's stores in Toledo and Dayton...both about the same distance from Lima.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Crank pulley puller?

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no no no all wrong. A impact will work if I just want to turn the engine over backwards. The crank bolt when turned with the engine out of the car (nothing to hold it) will turn the engine over which ever way you want to spin it. Its free spining. The prob is that I need to brace it some how so I can break the bolt loose. Thanks for the comment of not reusing the bolt though. Also I may be looking into getting a electric impact.

Later,
jay

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
usually an Impact just hammers away at the bolt enough to break it loose and not turn the engine over, and it doesnt take much to stop the crank from turning especially if it is out of the car on forsay an engine stand, just have a friend hold the flywheel/flexplate, while you take an impact to that crank bolt...or the redneck way and just jam something in the flexplate so it doesnt turn but hope you dont need that flexplate anymore because damage could happen...

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
Spidey2721 said:
....Also I may be looking into getting a electric impact....
FWIW, it's a handy tool; the one available at Harbor Freight is bulky, and doesn't fit into tight areas very well, but does the job for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts