TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to get the crank pulley off today to install my Steeda under drives, noway was that thing coming off. I had a 2 ft breaker bar on the puller but it will NOT budge, that's strange because
I had it off last April when I did a head swap and the car hasn't seen and wet weather. I tried a bit of heat but didn't want to cook the front cover seal or the rubber in the dampener so I gave up till tomorrow.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
513 Posts
You need a pulley remover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go to your local auto store and they loan them out....... you need the proper tool to do the job right.....:eek:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re- read my post please and you will see i said PULLER. :rolleyes:

·
8,239 Posts
a air ratchet is the way to go here also, you might get the crank pulley off with a breaker bar, but not the alternator pulley.

Rent the pulley puller though :)

Also that bolt is supposed to be replaced with new and torqued down properly any time you take it off, so get a new one on hand from the dealer.

JH

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the puller and air tools and it's will not come off. The alternator was easy but the crank pulley is a different story.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the old one off today and installed my Steeda underdrive pulleys. I can't say for sure that
I feel and power increase but I think I do............placebo ? They did cure one annoying problem I was having and that when I pushed the clutch pedal in and turned sharply into a drive way or parking lot at idle the car would almost stall. I think it was the power steering pump dragging the
rpms down before the IAC valve could react. ( Yes I cleaned it ) Anyway it was worth it.

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
well good thing u got the pullies on.... i just tackled mine 2/3? weeks ago.... except my crank pully came off really easy with a 3/8" drive ratchet on a puller

·
Registered
491 Posts
what i did to remove the dampener was use the bolts from the water pump and thread them into the three holes on the dampener. then i wedged a long wrench in between two of the bolts and had my friend (he's strong) hold the wrench so it didn't turn while i used a ratchet with i believe (i forgot) 18mm socket and turned it till it came off. then i just gave each of the three bolts a few turns, rotating around so the dampener wouldn't get cocked,and it came right off. Mind you, the engine was in the basement, not in a car, and had only 39000 miles as opposed to 70000 or whatever you may have had.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts