TCCoA Forums banner
81 - 82 of 82 Posts
Discussion starter · #81 ·
i believe the caps and connecting rods are missmatched , i did it before on a buick when we cleaned up the piston and connecting rods it was very hard to turn. we went ahead and finished and the engine did start and run for about ten seconds and seized.the plasiguage does work, but if one connecting rod is mismatched with the cap there is going to be a problem, and what you are describing is exactly what we experienced.
Problem is fixed.

Shane

Guys, I am having trouble with my rebuild. Whats happening is once I torque the rod cap nuts to spec the crank wont turn. Well originally I had thought that the problem was with the front two rod caps having a clearance problem with each other or that the rod caps were not facing the correct way. Today I removed all the rod caps except for just one of them in the middle of the motor which was torqued to spec. Well with just ONE rod cap bolted on, the crank still wont turn. The crank will turn all day long with all the connecting rods installed finger tight but not if the nuts are torqued to spec. I measured the diameter of the rod journals and all of them are within spec and I am using standard sized bearings. So what is wrong here? Is there a specific pattern that the nuts have to be torqued? The crank had about 80k miles on it and ran fine when pulled out of the engine it came from. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Shane
i had same issue with my vf700 Honda magna motorcycle. i got another two the problem i had was before like youor problem the caps get stressed by over clearance from bearings to crank not round any more. tighten one then turn crank then will find which rod it is. they can be bored then end caps cut so they can be used again and again unless the crankshaft is not the right one. have to be measured and measure the rods with caps torqued to rods need at least .005 to.001 cars need .001 min crankshaft needs .002 cars and bikes. i had problem forgot to fix issue and put it back together thought it was the tensioners and all the caps were so loose from the rods i replaced the rods and fixed the problem. Now will have rods bored and cut

81 - 82 of 82 Posts