TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I went to leave work yesterday I tried to start my car but all it did was crank but wouldn't start. I'm wondering if there are any suggestions on what it could be. The temp outside was 27 degrees so I'm not sure if something froze. I didn't have any tools with and didn't have any lighting so it was hard to check anything.

It's a 94 cougar with the 4.6 in it.
Since it's fuel injected is there anything that I could spray to try to get it to kick over? Any thoughts on what I need to check for?

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
The most common thing on these cars at this age now would be fuelpump.

get in the car, close the windows and wait till it's quit.
now turn the key to the run position and listen for like a errrrrrrr sound from the back for about 4 seconds.
If you don't here the sound it could be the fuelpump.

The fuelpump only runs a few seconds to prime the engine when the key is turned to run and will not start again unless the engine is cranking, running or cycled to off and run again.

·
The Parts Guy
7,267 Posts
If the fuel pump doesn't prime when you first turn the key to "on", the first thing to check is the inertia switch on the driverside of the trunk. Make sure that the button on the switch is pushed down.

-Rod

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's is a good suggestion. Would the sound be noticeable if I had the trunk open and someone listening for it?

Are there any other thoughts? I'm asking because it takes about an hour to get to the car and I would like to have a backup idea.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
The fuelpump is in the tank which is located under the back seat.
If your sitting in the back seat it will be to your right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went out there earlier today and the fuel pump did indeed check out. Ended up pushing on the crank position sensor connector and it fired right up. I appreciate the suggestions :D

This leads me to my next question, does this mean that the connector is bad, or could the sensor be going out? I'm wondering because I've been having an ongoing problem where when I am at a stop the rpms will run close to 500 unless I put it into neutral, which the rpm's jump up to 800-900. I've been reading and that seems like it could be the crank position sensor problem.

I have tried cleaning my MAF and I replaced the ICV valve.

Thanks again for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts