TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's probably just my heavier foot, but it seems like my car gets a little bit less mileage with this explorer engine. I am quite pleased with the extra power and I like to feel it!! I know trying to read mileage by the gauge is stupid, but my odometer isnt in working condition so I can't actually test it yet. So, anyone else get crappier mileage with the new engine?
-Rob

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
dont have one of those, but im thinking the higger compression they have will make it a little worst on milage...

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CR is still the same I think. The PI engines have a bigger piston dish to make up for the smaller heart shape on the head.
-Rob

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
yes the compressionof the non pi and pi engines is the same. smokey i think you confused it with a pi headswapped car. pi heads on a non pi block = higher compression

Frank

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It mustve gained even more weight. I still drove my car just like I used to before...except now it moves quicker ;)
-Rob

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
I noticed a little less gas mileage after I put my Exploder motor in. At first I thought it was due to me enjoying my extra power. I tried to drive like a sane person for a tank of gas or two, but never got mileage as good as before. That was with the stock EEC BTW.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
My around town mileage has gone down a tad, but still averages 18 or so. I blame more on the new converter. Haven't gotten a solid road trip to establish if I'll pull 27.5-28.5 again like I did on the old motor. Now that I've got the chip we'll see if it goes up at all.

BTW, C/R is higher on the PI motor, approximately 9.4:1 on the PI vs. 9:1 on the NPI.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I still get 20 highway with the SVO. Around town is another story with the sprints from light to light

·
8,239 Posts
I get about 12mpg. But I only drive the car on weekends so I could care less what it gets.

It needs a good tune though.

JH

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
smokymance said:
dont have one of those, but im thinking the higger compression they have will make it a little worst on milage...
Exact opposite, a higher compression motor will be more effeicient (but require better fuel).

·
Registered
926 Posts
Im actually dissapointed with the gas prices anyone feel me?? 2.03 today for 93 and thats the cheapest in town I have seen it as high as $2.10. This needs to change fast :).

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
2.03 for 93? You got it pretty damn cheap, thats nothing. I live in central cal, where gas is usually reasonable, and i pay more than 2.03 for 87! Most places are 2.03-2.11 for just 87.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
JustinH said:
It needs a good tune though.
JH
exactly, all cars need a tune, it's only right....stock or not... it's the magic touch..

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
i wish it was 1.96 for 91 here, its about 2.20-2.30 depending on where you go for 91.

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
Jealous? said:
I thought the PI heads were supposed to bump compression to 10.5:1. Whats the deally?
Rob's Signature
02 Explorer engine! GRR BABY GRRR!

FOR SALE:
'97 Thunderbird Driver's AIRBAG $60 Shipped PM me for more info
He swapped in an entire PI engine, not just the heads. As for the compression, yes, NPI shortblock + PI heads = high compression.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts