TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was rainin in Boston today. A Yankee visiting Beantown cut me off and I slammed into his suv. My car went right under it and the front end was smashed up pretty bad. Not sure if they are going to total it or not. Question: A few months ago when I bought the car, the block cracked so a friend at ford had a brand new engine installed in the car. If the car is totalled, I feel guilty just junking the car with the engine only having 6k miles on it. Any ideas on what to do with the engine? Is it worth anything to anybody? It was never beat on just driven to school and back. Let me know if it is hard to yank it out and sell it or possibly buy another thunderbird or cougar and toss it back in. Thanks

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
C'mon. You're Macgyver, Jr. You should be able to fix it with some crazy glue and some electrical tape...:uppoint: :uppoint:

Alright, now that that is out of my system...

I'm sorry to hear about your car. That really does suck. Do you have any pictures of the carnage? Did the airbags go off (probably).

If the engine is new, as in a PI engine, you could probably just pick up another MN-12 and drop it in. Of course, there are probably a few around these here parts that would love to get their hands on a PI engine.

It shouldn't be too hard to swap in. There are a few threads on doing the complete engine swap...just click search and read through some...I think there's a tech article as well (it's 1am, so I'm not thinking too well).

If you dont have pics, take some. Get some shots of the engine (numbers on the block and heads and whatnot).

Again, sorry to hear about your car. :(

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
If it isnt a PI (99+ GT or some others) then it probably isnt worth more then a grand if that much. Sorry to hear about the car.

-Shawn

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
sorry to hear about the car... I don't know what the insurance laws or how policies are written in your state...... In FL when they total the car, you can take the check and keep the car -- to fix or part-out. The insurance company just subtracts the salvage value from the settlement check... check into it....

It's unlikely that the insurance company will consider the new engine when it evaluates your car, so it is much more valuable to you than to them... so you might consider the above option, especially if you can find someone that'll fix it for close to what the settlement check is....

oh yeah, if you consider keeping/fixing/parting out the car, unless the insurance company specifically asks about it, you probably don't want to mention the new engine, it would increase the salvage value subtracted from your settlement. On the other hand if you decide to scrap it.... tell them about the engine, maybe they'll up the offer.....

ps...... that yankee that cut you off up in Boston, is probably the same one that cut me off down here in FL last winter.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts