TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to do an engine swap with my 93 Tbird (stock v6 3.8 L) and was wondering if you guys would recommend a new crate engine that il have to piece mail the little parts after I Get it? Or should I go about finding a refurbished engine and just use that? I want about 300 HP (at least) at the wheels and something that looks half decent, but il be driving 100 miles between home and college so i need something reliable. Thanks for any advice!
Ps. I would be having a shop do all the work bc i have very little experience and no means to do this myself.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Im looking to do an engine swap with my 93 Tbird (stock v6 3.8 L) and was wondering if you guys would recommend a new crate engine that il have to piece mail the little parts after I Get it? Or should I go about finding a refurbished engine and just use that? I want about 300 HP (at least) at the wheels and something that looks half decent, but il be driving 100 miles between home and college so i need something reliable. Thanks for any advice!
Ps. I would be having a shop do all the work bc i have very little experience and no means to do this myself.
Get a 351 or a built 5.0. Basically the 5.0 is the best choice because it came in the car and is obd1 and getting 300 at the wheels is possible. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I would avoid a OEM replacement crate motor ie: Jasper and the like. I have had bad experiences with them. Either get a performance crate or a junkyard and build it. As far as engine goes I'd say a 5.0 (I'm leaning toward a TrickFlow setup on my 5.0).

Before you put a new engine in you need to get that AOD built.

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
I'd lean towards a built 5.0 myself also, since if you find a 5.0 donor car, you can get all you need harness wise - and the ECM will at least let you start off OK. You'll still need to get it tuned - bog standard for a 5.0 in these cars is 200 to 210 HP, not your 300 you want.

(Actually with the "I'll be having a shop do it" line, I'd recommend buying a stock 300HP car - to get 300HP out of a 93 MN12, you'll either be paying for it, or doing the work yourself - and you DEFINATELY have to obey Pournelle's Law. Which is, "If you don't know how, or don't want, to do it yourself, open your wallet, and let the person doing it help themselves with you smiling all the time. Do not EVER complain about it!")

RwP

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
You are'nt considering a MKVIII Motor & updated 4R70w ?
That'd take even more rewiring than a 5.0 would.

For that, I'd HIGHLY recommend buying a Mark VIII ... considering his "I'll be having a shop do it" line. :)

RwP

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Being 19 and wanting a shop to do it to be honest you should just get another car.

Trans will be a minimum of $1000, engine $2-3k and wiring who knows, if you have a shop do it for you. Do it yourself for as little as $2k.

·
Registered
833 Posts
My advice is pick up a tool set and get to work. Don't send it to a shop there's enough information on this site to do anything you could possibly want to do. All you have to do is follow the instructions as it says.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I would trade it in on something already made. Once you are in college, you aren't going to have time to mess with it.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I would have to agree on just buying something else.

If you are going to a shop, hope you have deep pockets, 5k at a minimum.

Been there and got the T-Shirt. 5k scratched the surface. Got 3x that now. Getting a good motor and trans is just the beginning, what about brakes, suspension upgrades and the rest of the drive train etc.

I have a real reliable car and one of a kind. Depends on what you want. I don't agree against a crate motor - I have a Ford crate Windsor 4.6 and it couldn't be better. 12 yrs with not a single problem

12 years ago when I did my upgrades there was not much in a fairly large, rear drive car.

It probably will not go over good on this site, but I have been moving to GM cars.

My wife had to have a Ram Air Trans Am and worked my to death to get it. Really did not want to get it but she would not settle for Stang. Gave in bought it, must admit it has been a much more reliable car than I thought. Really only a one person car in my opinion. Rear seat is useless, right front is not all that comfortable, but 320 hp out of the box. Gets plenty of looks. Just depends on what you want.

As far a bang for the buck in a reasonable performance car, I have bought 3 2000+ Buick Regal GSs 3.8 SC for my daughters. 240 HP, front drive and way more reliable than a SC Bird. These cars come cheap 5+ years old, but a 4-Door car. Again depends on what you want or need.

Doing it again today I would get a 2004 up GTO, but obviously they weren't around 12 yrs ago.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate the ideas, but a DIY on this is out of the question i dont have the space, tools, or time being a Pre-med major. I will have roughly 6K for the engine/tranny upgrade in a year or two. Plus this car has a lot of sentimental value to both my family and I so I wanna improve it and not junk it. Do you know any good places to buy a performance crate engine? Im looking at http://www.phoenixengine.com/CratesMain.html right now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts