TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to buy a performance crate engine (351 W) from this shop in phenoix and it shows all the parts that comes with it apparently it is going to be shipped ready to drive (tuned and broken in). Starting with just the stock components in my 93 Tbird and the parts listed in the pics i posted, what all do I need to make this transition? can i use my old air intake, power distribuitor..? I know il need a new flexplate and torque converter. I am a newbie so any help would be great thanks!

http://www.phoenixmusclecar.com/Ford-04.html

·
Super Moderator
4,926 Posts
Step one - buy a copy of the 1993 EVTM.

Step two - buy a copy of the 1993 Ford Service Manual.

(Note: Both are available on eBay off and on, and both are available from Helm Inc - www.helminc.com - again, off and on, depending on stock.)

Three - It is NOT going to be a drop in swap due to your car being a V6, not a 5.0HO V8. You'll need flex plate, torque converter, you'll need to fix the engine bay wiring.

Are you going to go carburated? If so, you've opened up a complete can of worms.

If you wish to go V8, I'd look for a 5.0HO donor - or plan on a long drawn out conversion process.

RwP

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Matthew93 Tbird said:
Im looking to buy a performance crate engine (351 W) from this shop in phenoix and it shows all the parts that comes with it apparently it is going to be shipped ready to drive (tuned and broken in). Starting with just the stock components in my 93 Tbird and the parts listed in the pics i posted, what all do I need to make this transition? can i use my old air intake, power distribuitor..? I know il need a new flexplate and torque converter. I am a newbie so any help would be great thanks!

Wow..Where do I begin?

I'll just say this..Take the budget you have set aside to buy the Engine with, and double it...Possibly triple it..
Depending on how far you want to go with this build..

Have you been turning wrenches awhile?..If you can do the work yourself..That should save you a lot of money..

Rayo..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant do it myself I dont have the garage, tools or time with being a college student. This sounds like its more fantasy than a possibility at this point.
XR7-4.6-I mis-spoke, but would the circular air filter get enough flow just sitting there or would it be best to buy a cowl hood?

RalphP- again a DIY is out of the question for me for multiple reasons unfortunately, but besides the flexplate, TC, and a wiring harness what else would I need? sorry to be naive but I have no previous knowledge on cars besides changing a tire and little stuff.

Rayo- Whats the biggest "problem" to be faced with this possible swap? I just want it to be a daily driver after all is said and done I dont need the best of the best

Thanks to all who replied to the strand

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
fit??

:wavey:

Well biggest items would be.
Trany, 5.8 will not bolt up to a 4.6 trany.
Oil pan, must be a stock double hump. fit issues.
351w dizzy is a stand along part.
intake also a stand alone part.

You will have to lower the engine to fit under the hood.

:zdunno::headbang::zbeer:

·
Super Moderator
4,926 Posts
Well, there's the motor mounts. You'd have to figure out how to run a carburated motor in a fuel injected car - typically done by ripping all the ECU out and going Olde Skool.

Why do you want a 351W racing motor for a daily driver?

The V6 won't exactly light the back tires up (even with alcohol and a match!), but it'll move a DD around good enough to, well, drive daily *grins*

RwP

·
Super Moderator
4,926 Posts
:wavey:

Well biggest items would be.
Trany, 5.8 will not bolt up to a 4.6 trany.
Oil pan, must be a stock double hump. fit issues.
351w dizzy is a stand along part.
intake also a stand alone part.

You will have to lower the engine to fit under the hood.

:zdunno::headbang::zbeer:
The motor he has is a 3.8L V6, according to his profile.

Also, it's a 1993, a bit early for a 4.6 *grins*

Dizzy and intake are both on the crate motor if ordered that way. Which is why GM and I were wondering why he'd want to swap any of the intake parts from the 3.8NA EFI motor to the 5.8NA Carburated motor.

RwP

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
The motor he has is a 3.8L V6, according to his profile.

Also, it's a 1993, a bit early for a 4.6 *grins*

Dizzy and intake are both on the crate motor if ordered that way. Which is why GM and I were wondering why he'd want to swap any of the intake parts from the 3.8NA EFI motor to the 5.8NA Carburated motor.

RwP
Yeah

I run a C4 trany.
Dura spark II dizzy.
2bbl. up top. all under the hood.

:zdevil:

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Which is why GM and I were wondering why he'd want to swap any of the intake parts from the 3.8NA EFI motor to the 5.8NA Carburated motor.

RwP
hey don't bring me into this....I stay away from carbs....far far away lol

·
Registered
284 Posts
There is nothing wrong with carbs. The only thing i stay away from is switching efi to carb or vise versa. Because of mass of tunning to get it right for the emmissions for that state. My dad still has his galaxie/fairlain 500 that thing is a beast he has the 427 he put in. The thing frightens me since that day i almost wraped it trying to avoid a truck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whats a downside to a carbed engine? and I plan to hand this job to a speed shop or shop that can handle it would they be able to handle this conversion?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks thats good to know, I just havent found a crate engine thats fuel injected. I dont really trust putting in a salvaged engine in my car id rather just start fresh. Does anyone know a site that sells fuel injected crate engines that could work for a daily driver car?

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,926 Posts
Thanks thats good to know, I just havent found a crate engine thats fuel injected. I dont really trust putting in a salvaged engine in my car id rather just start fresh. Does anyone know a site that sells fuel injected crate engines that could work for a daily driver car?
For the easiest work, and the cheapest install, renewing a 3.8 for your car would be the best.

If that's not suitable, please define what you DO want with your car.

But, given my presumption, how about http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1993-Ford-Thunderbird/Engine/_/N-izq76Z9enw6?filterByKeyWord=long+block&fromString=search ?

Or ask your shop about what they have.

For the price of grafting a 351W or a Coyote 5.0L, you could easily pay for a complete motor rebuild at the shop.

I'm with XR7-4.6 , if you really want to have something turnkey, look for a different car.

RwP

1 - 20 of 41 Posts