TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
89 sc 155k. When she hits 8 lbs boost she pings like crazy....what are typical causes on these

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, checked egr its good. I have small exhaust leak and small intercooler leak. I'm not sure if that matters. If I run 91 plus octane booster it doesn't ping but other than that it pings

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Yes both of those could cause potential lean pinging problems. Unmetered air leaks cause lean conditions, and exhaust leaks cause false lean o2 problems/reactions.

·
Formula 1 Freak
136 Posts
Yes, checked egr its good. I have small exhaust leak and small intercooler leak. I'm not sure if that matters. If I run 91 plus octane booster it doesn't ping but other than that it pings
Yep....it matters.....those leaks will certainly contribute like Chris said. I'd start there. How are your plugs and wires? You could also have vacuum leaks around the back and under the intake plenum/blower

·
Registered
23 Posts
I run 93 octane with no problems, try octane booster.
edit, just read the octane booster part. are you in california by any chance? primium there is lower octane then anywhere else.

·
Super Moderator
7,620 Posts
The absolute first thing I would check would be look for any vacuum leaks. SCs are more susceptible to them due to the mess of plumbing under the hood, and they can cause all kinds of weird issues. I would say about 90% of all the drivability issues I've ever dealt with on SCs were due to vacuum leaks. If that doesn't pan out for you, then we have to start asking some other questions. Any other problems besides the pinging? Any work done recently before the pinging started? When was the last tune-up done, what plugs were used, and what were they gapped to?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts