TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight, after work, I decided to go out to my mom & dad's place. Well, my mom & I walk out to move some hoses around, and realize that something strange is going on at the fence (they live in a rural setting, hav a few acres) We realize that something is stuck in the fence (barb wire)

It turns out, it was a little spot-covered baby deer...well, bambi had his little leg caught in the fence, but it was weird, it was like in the corner of the square where two pieces of wire come together.

AS soon as we walk up, Bambi goes completely limp, looked dead...was playing dead. Well, it was nearly dark, and I don't really see well in low light situations, so I grab onto bambi's leg, and I am trying to free it, but I couldn't really tell HOW it was stuck, it wasn't caught on anything really sharp. There was wire twisted around other wire, joining the two pieces, creating one side of the square section.

As I am messing with the deer's leg, and I couldn't get it to budge, it was really stuck, I feel something kind of slimy, yet dry at the same time, but warm, body temp.

Well, I see what I am touching, and realize that it is bare, exposed bone. No skin, no muscle, and no blood either, just raw bone. The leg wasn't broken, was just skinned down to the bone for a good four inch long section. :zdunno::leftright:zpuke:

So I keep messing with the leg, trying to free the deer. I pulled on it's leg in a few directions, which must have been painful, or scary, or both. Well, it starts to freak out again, jumping around, it kicked me in the hand pretty hard, it was more surprising than painful, it is amazing that such a small animal coud be so powerful.

Well, I step back and think about what to do. I go for my camera to at least get a photo of this before trying again to free it, and at this point, the deer really starts to jump around, and all the sudden it breaks free, and runs away real fast, to a couple waiting deer, and they all run off together.

There was no skin, hair, blood, or anything else on the fence or in the immediate area.

Weird.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Dude, that is wierd! I wonder what happened to the leg!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Dude, that is wierd! I wonder what happened to the leg!
Something probably ate it... along with the rest of bambi.
-g

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
We have land, and are seeing more and more carcases of baby deer, cause the mother's are leaving them in this terrible drought!

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
like no other......we have lots of deer....I'll try and snap some pics of them next time I'm on my land, or going to it! Have hit a few over the years.
Their numbers are down this year from the lack of water ...not that I am complaining, their numbers have been out of control the past few years

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Funny u bring this up.. I seen two Doe and two bambis today, I stopped my work truck rite in front of them and they just acted like I wasn't there lol didn't run or anything

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
^^At least you didnt hit them! They can do some damage!

I have seen deer come up and drink water behind someones house in a neighborhood in New Braunfels one time. It must be the suburban sprawl. In my neck of the woods you only see them out in the country.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Saw some deer down to Park in Tampa a few weeks ago and it was kinda weird cause I'd never seen deer in the city's parks. They were practically tame, you could almost get within arms reach before they would move away!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts