TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came across this YouTube video created by Dorman Auto Products on the integrity and quality of various suspension part companies. VERY interesting and more importantly very critical to know about, since many of these parts are installed via DIYs!!!!

Was SHOCKED that Dorman makes these parts like the OEMs! I also had the idea that Dorman was a junk auto parts brand. Am I wrong? Has ANYONE on the forum used their suspension parts and if so, were they ok to use and safe for the vehicle and anyone driving/riding in it?

Here's a link to Dorman's website on chassis parts: Full-Line Performance Chassis Parts - Dorman Products

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,978 Posts
The cheapest of cheap stuff is worse than Dorman but Dorman has many stinker products themselves, some pretty damn decent. Keep in mind it’s all Chinese manufacture, and resultantly hit and miss where likely multiple aftermarket brands source parts from the same factories, so I wouldn’t put too much stock in their best selected samples Dorman chose to present why Dorman is better. That video is an advertisement, nothing more.

·
Super Moderator
13,156 Posts
Is it just me or does the silver control arm there look like the one on the awd tbird? What ever happened to those cars?

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I'm not sure what I'm allowed to say about Dorman since my cease and desist from them. Needless to say I avoid them when at all possible.

·
Super Moderator
13,156 Posts
What!? You got a lawyerletter from them? That means you really pissed them off. :) I gotta ask how that happened. :) If you can't talk about it publicly, I understand. I'm sure you were telling the truth about a POS part they made. I buy their hinge pins, that's about it.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
What!? You got a lawyerletter from them? That means you really pissed them off. :) I gotta ask how that happened. :)
Private message sent to avoid Dorman legal department.

·
Super Moderator
13,156 Posts
Cool; I see where you're coming from. I actually got sued a few years ago by a vendor who wanted to work with our company; They sucked compared to our current vendor, and when I said so they sued me, lol. Luckily that company has flocks of lawyers. They changed their minds pretty quickly. :) They went under a couple of years later, lol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also had the idea that Dorman was a junk auto parts brand. Am I wrong? Has ANYONE on the forum used their suspension parts and if so, were they ok to use and safe for the vehicle and anyone driving/riding in it?

Here's a link to Dorman's website on chassis parts: Full-Line Performance Chassis Parts - Dorman Products
They're a double edged sword. They offer some parts that nobody else will make but they also have dodgy QC. With my coworkers I joke they'll make anything 98% of the way. Their parts typically need fitted/worked to use or if it's electronic it's usually good for 3-6 months

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hmm, I just ordered a set of Dorman premium lower control arms, because they have zerks and no one seems to have the left AC Delco available. Dorman seemed as good a choice as any others. I'll report here what I think of them when they arrive Tuesday.
Well, I got my order today. Left and right lower control arms, Dorman Premium ordered from CARiD. The right arm is Dorman Premium as ordered, but the plastic shroud on the ball joint is cracked. The left arm is SKP, not as ordered, which is about 18 dollars cheaper but they still billed me for the higher price. So I have to return one for being the wrong brand and the other for being damaged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
(1) Keep in mind it’s all Chinese manufacture...
(2) That video is an advertisement, nothing more.
1.) Approx. 75% are manuf. in China, the rest in India, Vietnam, Mexico, etc.

Note Dorman is not the only automotive part vendor currently following that general business model.

2.) Agreed

I second what he says.
Seconded...the vendor is spec'd to use it for shipping purposes, and in this case, it appears a worker decided to use rather than scrap.

Some countries pay taxes on how much scrap doesn't leave the country as a way to calculate how much is used and exported as product. They even collect and weight trimmings, blobs, etc. to help reduce their taxes, which can make a big difference when runs can total in the hundreds of thousands of individual items.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX Missing 4.6 MIssing Trans Red
4,059 Posts
1.) Approx. 75% are manuf. in China, the rest in India, Vietnam, Mexico, etc.

Note Dorman is not the only automotive part vendor currently following that general business model.

2.) Agreed

Seconded...the vendor is spec'd to use it for shipping purposes, and in this case, it appears a worker decided to use rather than scrap.

Some countries pay taxes on how much scrap doesn't leave the country as a way to calculate how much is used and exported as product. They even collect and weight trimmings, blobs, etc. to help reduce their taxes, which can make a big difference when runs can total in the hundreds of thousands of individual items.
The only thing in that photo that is cracked is the plastic piece that was put over it for shipping. It gets removed before installation. For all we know that part was cracked before they put it on the contorl arm for shipping. So I don't know how they would consider it scrap.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I haven't used Dorman suspension parts, but I am very displeased with Moog. I rebuilt the front end of my '96 Bird with all Moog/TRW only a few years ago (upper & lower arms, inner & outer rods, links, everything except the rubber strut bushings which I bought OEM), and my wheels are already flopping around like crazy. I have to do another rebuild and I hardly ever drive the thing. I only got a few thousand miles, if that, out of this POS Moog junk.

I did a rebuild many years ago and got many years out of it. Being satisfied with that led me to purchase all their parts for the POS rebuild. Their quality has fallen through the basement.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts