TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a cross brace underneath the car about mid way back (near the gas tank) that goes under the exhaust pipe & bolts to each side of the floor pan. Does anyone know how necessary this piece is? It seems to be the part of the underside of the car that takes the beating from speed bumps. I'd like to remove it but am not sure if it would cause any problems. Advise please.
Jim

·
Registered
708 Posts
If your goal is to loosen up the car and diminish any good handling your car ever had, then sure. start hacking off braces and crossmembers. I heard you can make a light K-member with some conduit and JB weld.

j/k
For real, I think if ford threw a weak little brace somewhere, it probably needed it.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
You could always take it off and see what happens. I am not sure if it will make a big difference or not but since the subframe connectors that I have have their main bar in that spot (in place of that brace) then I would think it is at least decently important.

Russell

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Are you referring to the piece that is held on with four 8mm bolts? I'm not sure, but I believe it is a safety "doo-dad" for the driveshaft. If your front u-joint goes out, the driveshaft should be held up so your car doesn't do a pole-vault.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
tinman_72 said:
Are you referring to the piece that is held on with four 8mm bolts? I'm not sure, but I believe it is a safety "doo-dad" for the driveshaft. If your front u-joint goes out, the driveshaft should be held up so your car doesn't do a pole-vault.
the DS is between the body and the gas tank.......

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Oh well. :xpshame: My theory sounded good anyway. I was just going by memory, my car is not here.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That bar is to catch the exhaust should it rust out and fall. No problems after removing it. Ryan

·
Registered
132 Posts
Kentwood said:
My opinion is that it's needed.

Ford is pretty cheap - they won't waste 5 cents let alone put an un-needed brace
Again, it's not a brace, it's just for the exhaust. Those tiny bolts aren't holding anything, plus, the location is not prone to any twisting forces at all in that direction. If you're worried about chassis torque, weld in subframe connectors (roughly 30 times the connective surface area of that bar) which will actually support the torque load along the vector it's being applied on.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I second that mines been out for 4 years now no issues todate.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Mine hasn't been there since my dual exhaust went on, and I never saw any difference without it. I have added subframe connectors recently though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mine came off via ''blacktop'' when I lowered the car 2 years ago. I never noticed any difference. I would also say it's to prevent a broken intermediate exhaust pipe from plowing a furrow ! :( ThunderCentral

·
Registered
507 Posts
That bar is to catch the exhaust should it rust out and fall.
i'm with him, mine's been out since i swapped my tranny and when it was there the exhaust went right over it.

there is already a driveshaft loop under the car. i kno because it caught my driveshaft when the slip yoke on my front u joint shattered

1 - 13 of 13 Posts