TCCoA Forums banner

Cross Member Bushings - To Frame

857 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  CaptainCougar 
#1 ·
Hello all,

First time poster, I've been digging through TcCoa and ScCoa for the past couple months now on various topics. I'm at the point parts will be coming for a friends cougar this week, I'll probably be doing most of the work. To start with she's a 93 Cougar 3.8L., AOD has been rebuilt, new tires, not seeing any fluids mixing. From start, parts being replaced are as follows:

hood strut x2
headlamp switch
headlight dual relay harness
PCV valve
air filter
fuel filter
belt
spark plugs x6
plug wires
distributor
motor mount x2
trans. mount
DS window motor
door hinge rebuild kit x2

valve cover gaskets(I bought fel-pro kit hs8857-pt5) trying to figure out how far down the rabbit hole I can go with the tools I have to do the rest of the kit install

I also need to get the A/C fixed up but I'll ask those questions later in the right thread. Looking through post after post of dead links or distributors out of business, I can't seem to find K-member bushings. I assume I will want to do these and possibly the rack and pinion bushings, at the same time with the trans and motor mounts? Any other items I should be looking out for, if the motor mounts are both bad? I havent seen a puddle of fluids under the car, oil filter doesn't appear damaged. I'm aware the HG's are notorious on these cats, Felpro kit includes most of the upper engine gaskets should the need arise.Trying to do proper repairs in the right order. I have the Haynes manual as well, also an actron OBD reader.

-Tj

See less See more
#2 ·
Front K-member or rear K-member?

Front is bolted to the subframe; rear has some rubber on it, but that's usually still in great shape; you CAN pick up aluminum, Delrin and/or UMHW bushings.

RwP

#3 ·
Ralph, I believe it should be the front one? The one the transmission mounts up to. I was under the impression this was the area everyone has discussed needing to be taken care of when doing the motor mounts and trans mount. Please enlighten if I'm incorrect. I've also heard about chaining the motor to the k-member to ensure when, not if, the motor mounts shred again. would this be the same k-member the trans mounts to? perhaps maybe a part number specifically for the bushings? If I recall from prior reading, theres supposed to be 2 bushings. One on each side of the k-member. Apologies, I may indeed be getting my parts mixed up.

#5 ·
That's ... not a K-member.

That's just a cross member.

So yah, your description in the first message was confusing since you were asking K-member not cross member.

The motor mounts to the k-member which bolts to the subframe; the rear crossmember is where the transmission bolts, it also bolts to the subframe.

The cross member bushings are available; but there's two designs, and I don't know offhand which years got which. Super Coupe Performance Parts| Search is one place for them (I'd rather list the ES or Prothane numbers, but dang it, they don't show it anymore!)

The factory mounts will hold the motor in place; there's really no need for a street car with stock or mild warmup to have the chains. Almost all the aftermarket will also; that's why the bolt is through the center of the motor mount!

(Add to that it's a 3.8 ... I doubt it'll shred the motor mounts.)

RwP

#6 ·
Thanks for the quick replies gentlemen. I got "k-member" from other posts trying to abbreviate cross member. while doing my searches, I specifically typed in "cross member bushings". Most sites are down or links long dead, as I said earlier. Thanks for clearing that up.

Do we have an idea as to the quality from SCP on the ones they offer? it would appear these are the only option at this point. IIRC SCP had the motor mounts that were taller, would anyone be able to give reviews on their crossmember bushings or compatibility issues? I'll most likely email them later today to inquire which kit I would need.

Ralph: I get what you're saying about the car not being high performance to warrant certain additions. I do get the chain would be overkill for this engine, but I'm keeping the option in the back pocket if the mounts shear again. I'm swapping all solid Westar mounts in, hoping they don't strip out of the rubber. Hood liner has motor thrash from the bad mounts now. Anything over 1450 RPM, the engine thrashes about. With the damage I saw to the hood liner, i'm concerned the engine has been moving too much. I will inform my friend about the oil filter relocation kit as well to deter future mounts from destroying the engine if the filter is broken from motor movement. Albeit most likely unnecessary, I will still give him the options to weigh out. Thanks again y'all!

#7 ·
Actually, looks like I don't have to message SCP. this was under one of the listings:

"The '89-93 T-birds/Cougars have a rectangular set of bushings and the '94+ cars have round bushings. The '93/94 Mark VIIIs may have either one of these, but the vast majority of Marks have the round ones. Owners of these early Marks should always check which shape they have prior to ordering so they get the correct pieces.
•FYI, the replacement bushings that we offer for the rectangular mounts will actually be round in shape. These will interchange perfectly!
•This kit includes bushings for both sides of your cross member."

I guess I should call or message Prothane and see if they still offer the bushings, after that I should be able to pick a set.

#9 ·
Hey again all, I'm sorry if this has been covered and I overlooked it. I have searched the newbie section, did we happen to have any pages for current coupons for distributors? I'm looking to buy these bushings and would like to see if SCP also had one? I ask for the section so I wont have to ask individually in a future post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.