TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a stamped steel crossmember just in front of the fuel tank that's attached to each side of the frame by 4 bolts. The exhaust pipe & drive shaft are located above it. Does anyone know what it's purpose is? It dosen't seem beefy enough to have any real structural use. My exhaust pipes (added true duals) sometimes hit it so I removed the crossmember. Could there be any long term problems with doing so?

Thanks for any help I can get.

Jim

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
OMG! PUT IT BACK ON BEFORE THE CAR FOLDS IN HALF ON YOU!

J/k. :) Mine was all bent up as if something snagged on it so I just removed it. I think many others here have done the same.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input. Mine's been off for a couple of years & it hasn't folded in half yet. I would really like to know why Ford put in on ther & what it's for.

·
The Parts Guy
7,307 Posts
If your exhaust is hitting it, why not just space the crossmember down a little? The one on my XR7 is spaced down 3/16" to allow for clearance at the exhaust pipes.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did that but it hung too low & it cought a speed bump.
By the way I called Max at 5 Star Ford & found out that the piece is called a Floor Pan Reinforcement strap & he recommended keeping it on the car if possible.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I did that but it hung too low & it cought a speed bump.
By the way I called Max at 5 Star Ford & found out that the piece is called a Floor Pan Reinforcement strap & he recommended keeping it on the car if possible.
Since the strap on there is so flimsy is there any advantage to fabbing a stronger one?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts