TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on the forums and I got alittle information but I am still alittle confused. I have a 94 T-Bird 4.6 that is on its last legs. The local sherrifs office is getting ready to auction off its old 93 - 97 Crown Vics. I think that some of these have 4.6's in em. I could be wrong. Most of these units actually dont have very many miles on em because they were only driven as replacements when the SO's Expeditions were in for service. I can probably pic one of these up pretty cheap but is it worth the effort to use a vic engine as a swap or am I better off having my current 4.6 rebuilt?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm not sure what year they first started putting the 4.6 in the Crown Vics but you can inspect the cars before the auctions usually. I don't know what would need to be changed to make the CV 4.6 fit your bird but it shouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
They're all 4.6's , but why? you would have to pull the engine, get rid if the vic chassis and still have a pre '99 , non PI engine with how many hours of Idleing time on it? the best advice youll get is to save a few more bucks, and pick up a "99(+) G.T. engine and stick it in the bird... the heads alone are worth the labor of the swap, and you will have a better base to build on with the 8 bolt crank which along with the right flex plate will accommodate a MK VIII tork converter for about $200 bucks more, and now you will have something that rocks....Good luck....

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I looked at a vic motor before I bought my 02 explorer motor and I think you are better off going the route I did. For one the TB on a VIC points the other direction towards the drivers side. I don't know what these cars are going to be going for but I only payed $1000 for my motor and it only and 5 miles on it

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
My friend Larry got a 02 explorer engine for $1100 shipped with only 3 miles. Call up Greenleafe and ask about that. You should be able to talk them down but they are listed for 1195-1300 so its really not that expensive anways. They are supposedly a easy swap like TimB said. You can do a search for "02 explorer" and find some threads that list the parts needed and some more details.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts