TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the local city cops have a mix of impala's and crown vic cruisers

So I went into the 7-11 for a drink and there were two city cops with thier impalas parked outside. They were in there reading the newpaper hanging out.

So a guy comes in and asks them which cruiser they like better.

Well after 5 minutes me, the two clerks, the customer and the two cops were chatting about fords rofl.

They said the impalas were junk - always having probs.

Fuel pumps/alternators - and the radiator fans burning out.

They said they miss the Crown Vics mechanical fan during the summer rofl.

Also the said the Vic is way faster.

·
8,239 Posts
ha thats funny.

We just got Dodge Intrepid cop cars around here, and they still use some crown vics and some impalas.

Over the winter when my beater broke down on the freeway a cop picked me up and gave me a lift to the gas station to make a phone call. There was a ton of laptops in the front seat so I rode in the back, the cop jumped on the crown vic to merge with traffic, and those things are slow as heck. All the extra weight really does bad things for an already heavy car.

Cool cop though, I ended up chit chatting with him about how he likes the fords and he says if we were in the south then the ford is a way better car, but up here the FWD cars are better suited for the blizzards.

JH

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I've heard the same thing from the VT state police.

Now, when you say impala, do you mean the new one or the old one? The old ones (early-mid 90s) are pretty good.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
AFAIK, the police Caprice is essentially an Impala (9C1 options on Caprice = Impala), so I'd assume he's talking about the new FWD Impalas that they started offering with the police package a couple of years ago. The new Impalas could have been so much more, it tore me apart to see GM screw them up like they did. :mad:

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have ONLY seen Youngstown cops driving around in Vics. I don't think they have anything else.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Kentwood said:
the new fwd impala's

the old ss impalas are the only chevy car I'd be seen in
You ain't a ****tin kitten. :D

Quick question about cops and their squad cars.. Are they allowed to modify them? I mean, If I was a cop, I'd Procharge the CV, just so when some *** tries to run away he is all like WTF :eek: when I am right on him.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:
Quick question about cops and their squad cars.. Are they allowed to modify them? I mean, If I was a cop, I'd Procharge the CV, just so when some *** tries to run away he is all like WTF :eek: when I am right on him.
I doubt it. They buy fast cars like Camaros and Corvettes for a high speed chase, and even then they are moving away from high speed chases.

·
Registered
972 Posts
If im not mistaken, which I just checked and im not. The police went from Caprice to the Crown Victoria because Chevy wouldnt neg a certain contract with them.

So ford got the contract, and lately/ the last few years, Crown Vics have been having problems where they have been rear ended and caught fire and have killed officers.

In Indiana there is a place called Waymeyers, that installs police lights and such, they have a storage lot full of new Impalas, and they have already completed work on converting 2 truck loads of Mustangs into unmarked cars.

Ive also seen newer IPD marked, s10's and one Dodge ram, not to mention the Explorers they have been driving around in for the last 2 years.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
My town has A Vic and An Impala (2 total)...They've had the chevy for a few years now, and they prefer the vic over the impala anyday. I've had the privalage of driving the Vic around for awhile too (I'm a City Municiple Utilities worker) and they do get up and go.

Joe

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, the CV's can catch fire when rear-ended.

It should also be noted that when they DO get rear-ended it ain't no love-tap. Usually the speeds involved are significantly greater than any car could be counted on to maintain fuel system integrity.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Parker Dean said:
Yeah, the CV's can catch fire when rear-ended.

It should also be noted that when they DO get rear-ended it ain't no love-tap. Usually the speeds involved are significantly greater than any car could be counted on to maintain fuel system integrity.

Those acusations are BS

#1 they get rear ended while the cruise is parked on the side of the interstate - so we're talking an 80mph collision

#2 only about 10 out of a good quarter million or more vics in the country have done this

#3 It was the heavy steel box in the trunk that pierces the gas tank. That box holds the cops geare such as video recorded.

ITS THE COPS OWN EQUIPMENT THAT CAUSES THE FIRE

not ford's fault

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
whitecoug said:
I've had the privalage of driving the Vic around for awhile too (I'm a City Municiple Utilities worker) and they do get up and go.
That's what a cop friend of mine thought. He also thought they handled well. I took him for a ride in my car. He's since changed his tune. "MAN! I had no clue this car handled so well. I couldn't even think about this in my cruiser." :D ....just wait til the NEXT ride I take him on. :D

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
lol Bill's friend: "Uhh bill, your car handles all nice and stuff.. but I'm going to have to write you a citation if you don't let me drive." hahahaha ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yea man... the Crown Vics that caught fire were bashed in good. One of them was hit by a dump truck going like 80. You hit anything with a huge truck and it has a good chance of catching fire.

Cops 'round here use Crown Vics, Expeditions, Caprices, Tahoes, and rofl... Durangos. :rofl:

·
Registered
52 Posts
93sleeper said:
If im not mistaken, which I just checked and im not. The police went from Caprice to the Crown Victoria because Chevy wouldnt neg a certain contract with them.
Actually, the police went with the Crown Vic because Chevy stopped making the Caprice in '97. It had nothing to do with a "contract" as each individual department does their own contracts.

In Indiana there is a place called Waymeyers, that installs police lights and such, they have a storage lot full of new Impalas, and they have already completed work on converting 2 truck loads of Mustangs into unmarked cars.
In Nova Scotia there's a place called "Diesel & Auto Electric" that does the same thing. I work there and have built hundreds of cruisers for the RCMP. I can assure you that virtually every police officer I have talked to prefers the size and RWD handling of the Crown Vic over the Impala. In fact, the Impala is not even approved for pursuit duty by the RCMP - they are only used as "detachment" cars and reply to things such as B&E's, shoplifting, and donut runs. We are not even allowed to install radar units in them.

That being said, as much as they prefer the CV over the Impala, they pretty much unanimously lament the loss of the old Caprice.

Ive also seen newer IPD marked, s10's and one Dodge ram, not to mention the Explorers they have been driving around in for the last 2 years.
I've done up marked S10 Blazers, Venture vans, Astro vans, Expeditions, Suburbans, Exploders, and just this past week, a Freightliner cube truck (for bomb duty) etc for the RCMP, but the real interesting ones are the unmarked units. You would not believe what those sneaky devils drive for undercover cars!

I'm just hoping that Chrysler starts selling a police package version of the 300C or Magnum.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts