TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking at getting a crown vic. where is a good website for modding or aftermarket mod advice?

ty

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
www.crownvic.net Those vic's are tough as nails, I had 2 panthers. One 85 vic and one 97 marquis. If you can get an 03 vic lx sport thats the best one in mho. Or a used CVPI from 05+ they have the first factory tach for a vic plus reinforced frame, upgraded intake tube airbox etc etc.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i might have to go carmax..the have a first time buyers thing at intrest at like 10.9...and it a 2002

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
go for it, the gas mileage kinda sux but you cant beat the comfort that four doors provide, v8 and rwd, its all the good stuff, our marquis is an 04,

i would recommend you get 03+ cause they are the ones with the hydroformed frame, rack and pinion steering, and the aluminum upper and lower control arms. 06+ you also get the added bonus of a tach,

you'll be happy with it. and as was stated before crownvic.net is the site for you if you get it, i'm on there as well.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
10.9???? Damn I got a loan for 6%, even my first one was only at 8%

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
look at the local auto auctions for a used P71 patrol car you can find them for under 1000

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
go for it, the gas mileage kinda sux but you cant beat the comfort that four doors provide, v8 and rwd, its all the good stuff, our marquis is an 04,
Don't know about you, but my Vic gets the same or better mileage than my cougar. Made very high 20's/low 30's on the way down from Illinois to Florida.

look at the local auto auctions for a used P71 patrol car you can find them for under 1000
Good luck with that. I haven't been to any municipality auctions, but anymore (unless it's a well funded State fleet that swaps out cars more frequently) a lot of departments are running their Vics right into the ground since the budgets aren't really there to replace them. I'd be very leary of a CVPI unless I was buying from a reseller like copcarsonline or Government Fleet Sales. If you think about the use that a police car will see in its lifetime, you look to inherit some issues. Idling for long stretches of time, possibility of a hacked up harness for the extra electrical gear that they have to carry, fubared interiors, holes from the lightbars/antennas, wear and tear from PIT maneuvers, almost Baja 1000 type driving sometimes, high speed chases and code runs. Unless they have very good maintenance practices (and I know of some departments that appeared to now know what maintenance was). Also, a lot of taxi companies will pay high dollar for the CVPI's a lot of the time as well. If you do go to a CVPI, look over if very carefully and know what to look for. If you can, try to find a Cheif, Admin, or detectives car. Take home cars seem to have better care taken of them too.

That said, I'd still like to pick one up for a backup DD, project, or parts car. I've got a lot of other things that need to happen before that though.

10.9???? Damn I got a loan for 6%, even my first one was only at 8%
Ditto. I'm at 6 or lower, and it's my first auto loan (mother had to co-sign though since I was a student and , hence, "unemployed" . . . never mind the offer letter in my pocket). 10.9 is insane.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Ditto. I'm at 6 or lower, and it's my first auto loan (mother had to co-sign though since I was a student and , hence, "unemployed" . . . never mind the offer letter in my pocket). 10.9 is insane.
My aunt cosigned my first one at 8% This one for the altima for 6% I didnt need a cosigner:tongue: Carmax is much like JDByrider, but JD charges like 17-20% interest and tries to take every dollar you have (I know, I used to work for them) With Carmax and JD, they replace everything that looks bad or has gone bad on the car, so thats a little piece of mind for ya JD has a 2 year warranty that covers about everything, dunno about carmax's warranty.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The 2004 CV Sport is supposedly the best choice - over the 2003 - since they had some issues with the rear axle bearings and other bugs that Ford worked out. My 2003 hasn't given me any trouble yet since the warranty ran out (fingers crossed)...lol

The 2005 has throttle by wire ( i.e. gas pedal is electronic - not mechanical linkage) so I wouldn't care for that.

As far as mods go, I have installed stainless steel brake hoses, a beefier rear sway bar, and the popular MZT tune. That will give you approx. 20 hp give or take a little.

There are superchargers available I am seriously considering now........................

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Don't know about you, but my Vic gets the same or better mileage than my cougar. Made very high 20's/low 30's on the way down from Illinois to Florida.
i think it has to do with him being like 6 foot 12 and not exactly on the light side....i remember when he had his 89 TBird and gave it a few runs at a track...dropped it down a few tenths by having a skinny friend drive it.....'member that? hehe...and since he's got a wife and young kid now, he's probably hauling lots of family type stuff in the trunk

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
lol, 6 foot 12? wouldn't that be 7 foot? j/k, anyways, i am 6 foot 3 and he's right about me being on the heavy side, my 92 bird was the one i ran, lol. anyways its probably in the low 20's on the highway, around town is kinda rough, my 94 bird got a lil better around town but on the highway about the same. that is of course with the a/c going, without it i wouldn't be surprised if it did 25 or better on the highway. still a very practical large family car with a big arse trunk that could accommodate 3 or 4 bodies and tools to dispose of them properly lol. i love my panther. cant believe i waited this long to get in one.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Vics can be fun. I have a 96 PI that I got from the friend of a friend for $1200 a couple years back. It was starting to get a little high in the mileage, but she is certainly a beaut for a ugly bruiser.

The PI's do have some benefits: 3.27:1 gears, aluminum driveshaft, extra frame bracing, and stab proof plates in the seat backs! (Not to mention that they drive over curbs somewhat easily, that's a feature I've used a few times :D)

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Like others have said, www.crownvic.net, and I also agree, 2004 would be the ideal target year, or a 2001. I have a 2000 and it is the people mover, vacation car.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
ive been reading cvnet as well. i am going to look at a 99 p71 this weekend. 133k, jet black, spotlight, flowtech mufflers, custom dent in drivers door. $1800 obo. seller came clean and said two rear tires are bald, and 2 fron have about 3-4k miles left. i plan on replacing all 4 with general altimax v rated. then i just need to find 2(or 4 preferably) used snow tires. this will be replacing the 96 cougar. i'm gonna try and offer $1400 so i can replace the tires.

·
Registered
178 Posts
anyone see the cobra vic on ebay a few weeks back?

1999 crown vic with a 1999 mustang cobra engine along with a cobra 5 speed manual tranny, full cage, fuel cell. 20K miles for sale for 20 somthing thousand dollars. i wish it was still on there so yall could check it out.\

it was a professional driving school car.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
i saw it. didnt care for the spoiler! b-i-n was $21,995.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts