TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we installed the cams in the bird a couple weeks ago, the little, teeny plastic bracket got broke where it hooks to the throttle arc..... as a point of information the only way that ford knows of to fix it is to replace the whole cable assy....... EXCEPT, Ford no longer makes them , and the entire national inventory is .... 4, and the dealers who have them want a premium for them (about $130, plus freight.)...LOL This applies to 94/95 birds, I'm not sure about other years The rest of the story is that it took 2 days (off & on) to fab an aluminum bracket that fits, and attaches with hose clamps.....hopefully it will hold up... the moral of the story is to be very careful when removing this fragile piece, and If you have the opportunity to snag one from a wreck grab it!

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
tell ya what.. i am off next 3 days... just for you.. i'll go salvage yarding for ya!!

cruise control cable bracket or whole cable??

lemme know..

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
james, thank you so much for the offer, but as I said , I fabbed a new bracket, not pretty , but hell-for-strong! If it doesnt work out, I guess I will have to do my own junkyard diving farther down the road. This was meant to be a precautionary post as those suckers are fragile, and scarce. and after all thats what we are driving mn-12's for , cruise , A/c P/w. PB, P/s, etc,etc.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That's odd. Mine broke last fall, and the dealer pulled up hundreds of them. Mine was for a 97, so they may not be the same part.

The way the cable is made, you have to replace the whole thing. The clip on the end is not replaceable.

It's not bad replacing the cable. It only took me an hour start to test. I'd be cautious about a home-brew solution on something that pulls on the throttle...

Doug

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
94/95 cables are almost gone as of a week or so ago.... as for home brew... I think it will be ok, and a lot of consideration was given to potential probs....

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
thats odd. i looked it up on my computer here at work. list is only like $73. more than 4 available in usa. this being for the v8. i didn't look for the v6, as your info states 5.4L.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts