TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My damn car is falling apart. Okay I had the cruise control set and then I saw a red light coming up so I hit the brake...nothing, then I hit the off button for the CC..still nothing.. I was like Sh*t!!! Well I jammed the brakes and the car slowed down slowly. I stopped at the light and it was reving on like 6,000 rpms. I put it in Parked and shut her off, I did this 3 times and still she was reving and wanted to jolt. I pulled over on a side street took me the brakes and the damn emergency brake to stop her and I had to jam it into park while it was reving at 6000 rpms. NOT good.. I Shut her off and the tach was stuck as high as it can go, LOL.. Popped the hood and she was smoking a bit. I pulled the throttle cable and it was a little loose, looks like it got stuck. Then I started her up and she was fine, tach was back to normal. What should I do? WD-40 the throttle cable or sensor? Any suggestion is great!

Its a 1994 4.6L, thanks.:mad:

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
WD-40 is a SOLVENT. put on some white lithium grease after cleaning it with WD-40. Make sure it's dry before applying the grease.

·
Registered
621 Posts
DGERMANN said:
My damn car is falling apart. Okay I had the cruise control set and then I saw a red light coming up so I hit the brake...nothing, then I hit the off button for the CC..still nothing.. I was like Sh*t!!! Well I jammed the brakes and the car slowed down slowly. I stopped at the light and it was reving on like 6,000 rpms. I put it in Parked and shut her off, I did this 3 times and still she was reving and wanted to jolt. I pulled over on a side street took me the brakes and the damn emergency brake to stop her and I had to jam it into park while it was reving at 6000 rpms. NOT good.. I Shut her off and the tach was stuck as high as it can go, LOL.. Popped the hood and she was smoking a bit. I pulled the throttle cable and it was a little loose, looks like it got stuck. Then I started her up and she was fine, tach was back to normal. What should I do? WD-40 the throttle cable or sensor? Any suggestion is great!

Its a 1994 4.6L, thanks.:mad:
Thats a scary tale. Same thing happened to some of the Focus SVTs. I'd go with GreenBirds advice, and put some grease on there, after cleaning it off.

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts
And if you are in that situation again, mash the gas and let off quickly to see if it lets off, if not, turn the key to the back to off. You can't turn it to lock because it's not in park and you don't want to cause you want to be able to steer the now shut off vehicle safely off the road.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts