TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TBird sees DD duty when it is nice out. I really enjoy driving this car. This past weekend I put on quite a few miles. One thing that really drove me nuts though was how frequently the cruise control would shut off. I originally thought it was out of the blue until it did it more frequently. How does the Cruise control work?

The reason:

I noticed that when I moved to the left to pass a car it would shut off. I thought it was because I put on my left signal light. Some testing proved that it is not the signal light. The steering wheel actually needed to be moved to the left to shut off the cruise control. It can go to the right fine.

I am trying to figure this hiccup out. TIA

·
5,650 Posts
There are two inputs to the cruise control module that would cause it to shut off.
1) Brake input
2) OFF input

If there is a problem with the clockspring assembly in the steering wheel, it could be falsely delivering an OFF signal to the module (meaning that there is a short somewhere). I would simply start by removing the airbag assembly and looking at the wiring for the buttons.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
If there is a problem with the clockspring assembly in the steering wheel, it could be falsely delivering an OFF signal to the module (meaning that there is a short somewhere). I would simply start by removing the airbag assembly and looking at the wiring for the buttons.
That's where I would start.
JL

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I know for sure on older Fords, and I suspect on newer ones, if you are driving with the cruise control engaged and the car slows more than 10 mph (e.g. a steep incline), the cruise control will give up.

But I agree that the steering wheel components would be a good place to start.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are two inputs to the cruise control module that would cause it to shut off.
1) Brake input
2) OFF input

That's where I would start.
JL
Thank you kindly. Weekend project. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, I don't know if it applies to you, but here is my general knowledge ;)

I recently had a turn signal bulb in the rear fail. I noticed that my cruise control started having problems around the same time. The strange part was, my right signal was out (blinking fast due to bulb failur), but it would shut off the cruise control when I signaled to the left?

Now, I realize that you said that yours worked fine with the signal on, however I wonder if it is something in the turn signal switch that can affect the cruise control?

If not, then I agree with the above, you'll have to pull the airbag.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Well, I don't know if it applies to you, but here is my general knowledge ;)

I recently had a turn signal bulb in the rear fail. I noticed that my cruise control started having problems around the same time. The strange part was, my right signal was out (blinking fast due to bulb failur), but it would shut off the cruise control when I signaled to the left?

Now, I realize that you said that yours worked fine with the signal on, however I wonder if it is something in the turn signal switch that can affect the cruise control?

If not, then I agree with the above, you'll have to pull the airbag.
That's a good point-I had an issue years back when I attempted to use LED signal and tail lamps on my car. The cruise control would not function with those LED's. I'm assuming it had something to do with the brake light circuit and the resistance of the LED's vs. the standard incandescent bulbs.
JL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you fix the cruise control issue? Im curious because my c/c isnt functioning on my 94 Cougar and im about to try to diagnose it soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts