TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today while on my way to asheboro I set the cruise at 70 and a few seconds later I look down and notice my speed rise a few MPH. I don't really pay much attention because I was descending one of the hundreds of hills in that area. I get a phone call and I'm concentrating on the phone (I really shouldn't do that I know) and im starting to pass people at a pretty steady rate. I look down and am approaching 90! :confused: So I tap the brakes to shut down cruise, no response. I hit the "off" button, still doesn't cut the cruise. I even hit coast, the throttle blips for a few second and then picks right back up. I had no choice but to hit the flashers and get off that highway. Put the trasmission in neutral and my engine is revving at 3k and climbing steadily. So I cut the ignition and coast to the side of the road, cussing the car the entire time. Once stopped I start the car again. I crank on it for about 5 seconds before it fires up and as it does engine RPM's rise steadily. I shut down the engine as the RPM's hit 2k. I'm at a complete loss here. After starting the car up a third time everything was normal and as it should be. I wasn't about to try cruise again so I finished my 400 mile trip with my right foot. What on earth could this be?

I was thinking maybe a faulty cruise module? The TPS? My butterfly valve is sticking in the TB but not enough to make the car accelerate steadily...or atleast I don't think so.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
There is a recall regarding this. If anyone remembers, it happened to the President's Lincoln quite a few years ago. Search around here and Google, I'm sure you'll find other experiences like yours - you're not alone...lol

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
One thing you can do for the time being is disconnect the cruise control cable from the throttle bracket on the plenum.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
This cruise control switch recall by Ford has been going on for over 20 years, no exaggeration. The lastest is Ford Trucks. Here is a link about the 1990s vehicles, cars and trucks:

http://www.newsinferno.com/archives/2517

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
This cruise control switch recall by Ford has been going on for over 20 years, no exaggeration. The lastest is Ford Trucks. Here is a link about the 1990s vehicles, cars and trucks:

http://www.newsinferno.com/archives/2517
The recall on the faulty cruise-control switches involves vehicle fires and has nothing to do with the OP's problem with his cruise-control.

Dennis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts