TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Thunderguys!

Well, i some kind of a n00b with my new electronic monster :D

Since a few days I'm going through every Cruise Control thread and the search function is starting hating me :eek: and i havn't found threat that helps me out.

It looks like is a common problem that the cruise control is not working, but in no threat is written witch part mostly fails or how to start throubleshooting.

What i've done is check the fuses and check if the breaklamps are working.

I also found a troubleshooting from Ford, check Voltage on this etc.. But i have no idea were the modules are. If i follow the TB cable is going to underside of the fender? Is the the Cruise Control Servo? Where are the other Modules? I red the on the upper side of the breakpedal there are other modules? Have someone pics of something?

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers from Switzerland
Elvis (who want's make a 3000miles soon :eek:)

·
Registered
138 Posts
It could be the throttle cable I think, but I have known peoples crusie control switch/relay could be bad. bad. Check that put it to a volt om meter and check it should be a 6 volt or 12 volt I not sure look on the switch/relay.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ford is natorice for relays going bad. Just to let u know.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I also have a 93, same prob, checked nearly everything, swapped steering wheels cause I had two t birds at one time. That didn't help. I didn't check any servos or relays, at about that time my car went into hibernation for the winter and hasn't made it back out yet.. So I am curious to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys,

I just wanna update that i have no news on this. I hope i can find somthing up. Any tips?

Thanks
Elvis

·
Registered
15 Posts
The only problem I've ever had with the cruise control was on the 94 LX that my step-daughter still has. Does your cruise try to work at all? Mine would try if I held the set/acell button in but would kick right out when the button was released.
Most cruise controls use the stop light switch to release the cruise control when you step on the brakes. I don't know about the other years but that 94 had a seperate switch mounted above the brake pedal lever that was mounted in a flimsy bracket and it had slid up in the bracket until it was no longer hitting the brake lever. All I had to do to fix was reach up and shove the switch back down as far as it would go so it was against the lever again. That was about 6 years ago and it's still working.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is not working if i held the set/acell either :(

I'll check the brake switch!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Clip attaching cable to vacume servo...........

The clip attaching the cruise control cable to the vacume servo is known to break.
The servo's located under the left fender. Remove the fender well skirt, you'll see two nuts holding the cable cover to the servo. Pull that cover off and you'll see how the ball end of the cable is held by the clip. The only place you can get a replacment clip is from a junk yard, it can't be bought, you should also know that this clip is comman to any Ford cruise control in the late 80's to late 90's, you don't need to find a wrecked T-bird. Get hold of several of them along with the small C-clip that holds it in place, they are delicate and easy to lose. Use a pick to remove the C-clip. You can also disconnect the cable at the throttle, it should only pull out of the cable tube/conduit a little bit (say 1/8th inch). Any more than that and the clip or the swagged ball on the cable end is broken. This has happened twice on my 89 T-Bird.

Hope this helps...............

·
Registered
401 Posts
Did the Thunderbirds have the same problem with the cruise control deactivation switch that the Mark VIIIs and other Fords have?? Check it and see if it's unplugged, or wet from brake fluid. If it's shorted out, or unplugged, it could cause cruise control to not work. http://www.markviii.org/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=69179&mesg_id=69179&page=
Mine was leaking fluid on to the connector, I moved it to unplug it, and it started smoking and melted the connector. I had it fixed under the recall. Be careful.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Based on what I read in the link you provided I would say no. There is no mention of the T-Bird in the recall list. From what I've read over the years in the TCCoA forums, and with experiences on my own T-Birds the common items are failed/stuck BOO switches and vacume dump valves, fuses, control switches and speed control cable attachment failures. From what I can see on my cars the wiring and connectors do not appear routed near any brake fittings.

Just my 2 cents

Chris.......................

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow, I never knew so much stuff could cause a problem with cruise control. My Cougar LS does the same thing. I'm gonna try and troubleshoot it so I can get better gas mileage.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hello,

Thread is about a month old, but my 97 cruise also doesn't work. Like above, I checked relay's, fuses, I even took the center steering wheel/air bag off, and on some of the electric sides of the cruise control metal contacts, a few of them I got read 6.32 volts. So does that mean my cruise control is getting power, but not activating? I have a "cruise on" light on my instrument cluster, but when I put the key to the "koen"(Key On, Engine Off) All my other service lights light up but that one. Maybe a burnt bulb, but I still have to investigate.

I am going under the fender today to see what the other people above were talking about and the c-clips, otherwise a FORD dealer in WALNUT CREEK, CA quoted me $150. to bring it in and they will find out what's wrong, but I would love to skip that step and do it myself. :)

I'll repost later today and let you know my findings.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies. I still haven't got tha chance to check everything and it's snowing outside there...

Cheers
Elvis

·
Registered
334 Posts
I still for the life of my cannot find out what is wrong. Everything is good. I deny taking it in for $150. evaluation, because that won't even fix it. Just tell me ya its broken.. lol

Any help? I got a 97 LX Sport, are there anything else I should be checking?

·
5,650 Posts
Try this. There is a switch on the brake pedal called the brake pedal travel switch. It has two wires going to it and a rod that clips onto the arm of the pedal. Unplug this switch (it is not the same as the brake light switch) and jump the two wires together and see if the cruise works, then report back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but...

I'm having trouble too. (97 4.6 LX)

Try this. There is a switch on the brake pedal called the brake pedal travel switch. It has two wires going to it and a rod that clips onto the arm of the pedal. Unplug this switch (it is not the same as the brake light switch) and jump the two wires together and see if the cruise works, then report back.
The only switch I see on the pedal seems to be the brake light switch. I didn't jump out the switch when I pulled the conector, but have found that the switch is normally open, and closes when the pedal is pressed. I also found that the brake lights don't work with the switch disconnected. Am I missing a switch? :confused: If so, I wonder who stole it? It used to work about 4 months ago. :D Just before it died, I noticed on a couple of occasions that the cruise just cut off while in use as if I turned it off or hit the brake. I'm thinking it may be the clock spring.

I don't have a schematic, but I was thinking that the BOO switch was double duty as in it fed power to the lights, and would send a signal to the cruise module (where ever it's located-I haven't found it yet) too. No?
I was going to post a picture of the only switch I found on my pedal, but I can't find the option to do so. Is it because I'm a new guy, and I don't have the privilege to do so yet?

·
5,650 Posts
Yes, you are missing it. The switch is further up and will be on the side of the pedal.

The BOO switch does perform double duty as you described. The brake pedal travel switch is an additional safety measure to disengage the cruise control should the BOO switch not function correctly when the brake pedal is depressed.

If you want to post a picture, you need an account with a hosting site such as Photobucket. Then place the IMG code within your post.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Subscribed, my Cruise Control is not working either...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Pictures

Thanks Chris! Here are the pics....
Where's the switch supposed to be? :confused:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts