TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I've been having Cruise Control issues for a long time now and I still can't get it working. I checked all Fuse's, and did a volt test on the wire leading from the steering wheel to the engine bay and the switch was sending a signal when pushed. So I am thinking it's the Servo or the Speedcontrol Computer... Any clues?

·
Registered
917 Posts
me 2

great question. i've bin having the same problem. my cruise light doesn't come on anymore no matter what button is pushed, and no response from the cruise system. i even called a ford dealership n they couldn't tell me what was wrong with it. i'm with u on this 1. lets see wut we can figure out

Nick

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to Canadian Tire and they checked the same stuff I checked even though I told them not too. Said it wasnt fuses, the steering wheel etc... I'm just gonna bite the bullet and buy a new servo I think

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
This doesn't exist on a 96+ MN12.

Yes, it does. 96+ went to all-electric controls, and the vacuum valve is replaced with a brake pedal travel switch, in addition to the brake on-off/stoplamp switch. The cruise and anti-skid both utilize them as inputs. In the case of the cruise, the travel switch serves as a fail-safe to the brake on-off switch, when the pedal is depressed about half-way the travel switch opens (it's normally closed) and disengages the system.

I broke something (I forget, maybe part of the pedal that holds the switch?) while replacing the brake booster and ended up connecting the two wires together to make it work.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks hotbird. You are correct, the earlier birds used a vacuum dump valve, and the later used a deactivation switch which is electrical. The cruise servo on the later birds is electrical as well like on the Mark VIII's and all other Fords from the mid 90's.

·
Registered
917 Posts
brake pedal travel switch eh? sorry 4 bein dense but i'm confused. is the travel switch the same as the stoplight switch? or r there 2 separate switches under there? i'm only asking cuz it's so dam hard 2 fit under my dash. 4 such big cars they didn't design them 4 big guys 2 work on them

Nick

·
Registered
917 Posts
electronic crap

since we're talkin about this, n fuses were already mentioned, i've gone thru my manual b4 as well but only 2 find no mention of a fuse or relay or any other form of safety electrical system 4 the cruise system. why is this? or is it there it's just not serviceable? i just find it kiinda odd that there's no fuse or relay 4 an electrical system, especially a major operating system like cruise control.

Nick

·
Registered
328 Posts
No it is not the same as the brake lamp switch, there are 2 seperate switches. As for the fuse, there are a few that can cause problems, which are also parts of other systems, so no there is not a specific fuse for the cruise control.

·
Registered
917 Posts
something else?

well i looked under the dash n i think i found the "lever" assosiated with the cruise control system. not an easy location 2 reach a hand into. but from the looks of it the mechanical setup is intact. now on another note my brakelight switch came unplugged a while ago, i'm assuming from either putting my foot 2 far up under the dash while driving or when i was down under there working on other stuff. but it was simply a wire hanging down away from the connector. an easy fix. but the wires 2 the cruise apparatus (that is if i'm looking at the right thing) seem 2 b plugged in correctly. granted it was dark n i only had my cell phone 4 light so i may b wrong. or it may b unplugged from the dash connection. i'll look at it in the light tomorrow n see if i can take a picture of it. i've got some CRC electrical parts cleaner (EXCELLENT STUFF btw!!! it's gotten me out of many electrical issues where corrosion or debris in the sockets was the only problem. and it's cheap!) that i plan 2 spray into the connectors. maybe they're just dirty, i dunno. but assuming it's not anything 2 do with that particular section of the system, could it b the cruise apparatus itself? i've never worked on cruise b4 so i have absolutely no idea what components r involved. thankx 4 all the help so far guys!

Nick

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the update, I'll have to wait till Thursday to check it out. Can you describe the object I am looking for/have pics?

·
Registered
917 Posts
hey kingshot. if what i saw under the dash was the right thing (assuming i was seeing correctly, lol) then it just looks like a long white and/or black clip extending from about half way up the brake pedal up towards where the dash meets the firewall. it also has a wire coming off the bottom of it, with some black mesh wire loom around it. like i said, this is all assuming i was looking at the right part. if so, then good luck in figuring it out. get some electrical parts cleaner n clean the connections if u can. and, if u can reach up there, dab a little dielectric grease in the socket and the plug. a tube or can of that stuff will save ur ass with everything from light bulbs 2 ur alternator connection, and every electrical socket in between. great stuff 2 have i reccomend it 2 everyone. just don't buy those little packets of it from autozone or kragen. they're cheap but 4 the amount u get it's WAY 2 expensive 2 b worth it

·
5,650 Posts
What byrd_of_thunder is describing is the correct thing. From the disassembly of my car, I don't see that it would be easy to replace with the brake pedal assembly still in the car. If you want to eliminate the brake pedal travel switch as a possible source of problems, you can unplug it and jump the two wires together. The switch stays closed when the brake pedal is not pressed and opens when pressed, so having it unplugged or having the switch malfunction so that it's not closed will in essence keep the cruise control from engaging all the time.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What byrd_of_thunder is describing is the correct thing. From the disassembly of my car, I don't see that it would be easy to replace with the brake pedal assembly still in the car. If you want to eliminate the brake pedal travel switch as a possible source of problems, you can unplug it and jump the two wires together. The switch stays closed when the brake pedal is not pressed and opens when pressed, so having it unplugged or having the switch malfunction so that it's not closed will in essence keep the cruise control from engaging all the time.
In assume the car has to be on for the jumping of the wires? Also, how do I know if the switch opens or closes?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey all, so I got the cruise control working again. Alas all that was wrong was that wire did come off from the switch. Thank you so much for your help guys!

·
Registered
917 Posts
how much of a job was it to reconnect the switch? i still haven't bin able 2 reach my big ass hands up under there. i don't even know if i'm having the same problem as you. maybe i'll get my girl to look up there for me tomorrow. she's small. lol. anyways thanks for the heads up. i almost got to the point of ripping the fender off and checking the unit itself. i hate electronics

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just fixed my cruise. Brake pedal travel switch was bad. I had a feeling it was because when I disconnected the bottom from the brake pedal the switch felt broken. I used a screwdriver to pry the top out of its mount then it was easy to verify the problem and bypass it. Thanks again guys!

Lorne
96 Cougar 4.6

1 - 20 of 23 Posts