TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I turn on my cruise, tap the brakes to kill it, and it just kicks back on. If I slow down like 40mph, then it stays off...also the "off" button works. Any ideas on why it doesnt shut off when I hit the brakes? My ABS is disengaged right now too, would that have anything to do with it?

Mods: Please switch this if it's in the wrong forum.

-Joel

·
5,650 Posts
If it's not disengaging when you apply the brakes, it's one of 4 things.

1) Brake light circuit
2) Cruise control dump valve
3) Cruise control servo
4) Cruise control amplifier

If the brake lights come on when you tap the brake pedal, then you can pretty much rule out 1. To test the dump valve you have to have a vacuum pump. The dump valve is a kind of mechanical bypass if the speed control doesn't electronically disengage. It is actuated by a valve that opened near when the brake pedal is depressed. If you look you will see a vacuum hose running through the firewall that goes to a valve by the brake pedal. When you tap the brake pedal, this valve doesn't open up, so the release of the cruise control must happen electronically. When you slow down like you said, the valve opens enough to dump the vacuum contents and release the cruise control, so I would also rule out 2. Most likely it is the servo or amplifier. You can test the amplifier with a multimeter but the servo just has to be inspected for the linkages being OK and not binding anywhere.

Having the ABS bypassed won't be causing this problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts