TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im hoping that this is where i can post this. Ive had a 97 4.6 liter Thunderbird for 3 years. The whole time Ive had it it makes a weird noise when driving. No matter how long it idles or how long its been driven there is a crunch noise when i start to drive. Ill go a couple of feet and itll make the sound. No physical feelings to it either. Its only after it starts up not when stopping. Its got fluids in the trans and a new motor. I cant deduce what this could be.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,195 Posts
Can you post a video? Is it constant? Only certain speeds? Can you take a guess of where from the car it comes from? Does it make the sound if you rotate the tires with them off the ground?

Cars with ABS will "crunch" when they reach about 15 MPH for the first time after being started. This is an ABS pump self-test.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what it could legitimately be. Cause it is at 15 mph. I cant pin point the sound though.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,195 Posts
OK. If it only happens once per drive cycle and it comes from the inside of the front driver's fender, that's all it is.

·
Registered
1994 XR7 , 46 most every option. 66.000 miles. rustfree, from washington state.
321 Posts
have never heard that in all of mine ! interesting.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I had my '95 for 15 yrs before I found out what that sound was. To me, it sounded like a trap door, lol! For me, it was between 20 and 25 MPH when first starting out.

Al

·
Registered
65 Posts
Metering block - sticky brake caliper perhaps. My lightning used to do that. It had a bad metering block. would not bleed pressure after releasing the brake pedal. (left front caliper.) I changed the caliper at first but that did not fix the noise. It was not a huge problem but it resulted in excess heat and dark brake fluid and that two second groan.

Oh. at 15 mph. never mind. I had that sound rolling out after stopping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts