TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the boot on the upper balljoint is cracked and probably has been for some time. I removed the damaged boot and inspected the balljoint. It had some minor surface rust but nothing else. I have read that the joint can and will fail if dirt and water get in it. I was wondering how does it actually break. Does it rust thru or does the shaft just snap. Anyone actually had a balljoint snap?

BTW, I know that I'll have to replace the UCA asap

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
The dirt that gets in there, or the rust that forms as a result of water entry, is abrasive. It works it's way into the socket- the part that the ball rides in- and causes wear between the ball and socket. Once the ball is worn down to a small enough diameter and the socket is worn to a big enough diameter, the joint separates...that is the ball pops out of the socket.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Any decent mechanic should have you out the door for $100. I think the control arm (Upper or lower) is around $50. You may need an alignment afterwards, but if he is REALLY careful, it may not be nessessary (also depends on how badly the joint has worn)

hotbird explained it good, it's sorta like dislocating your shoulder.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
I realize not everyone has the available space, tools, or wrench-knowledge to acomplish this, but it isnt overly difficult to change them yourself (Assuming the earlier mentioned items are in place). And like Greenbird said, if you're careful, and accurately mark your suspension before you take it apart, you may be able to escape without an alignment.

·
Registered
86 Posts
ah, i just had to replace EVERYTHING on the front end my self, upper balljoint was by far the easiest, ( ive never done this before). the upper balljoint comes already pressed into the upper control arm, sold as whole assembly, i paid about $75 for mine (moog product), with car jacked up and tire off, look up inthe wheel well, youll see the upper control arm (looks like a U) with the ball joint attached ( or unattached in your case) with a bolt holding the "rod" section of the balljoint, that bolt needs to come all the way out. THEN on eachside of the spring youll see a bolt on each side, those are the two bolts that hold it in place. follow those bolts to the inside of your engine compartment on each side of your strut tower, you should see the nuts. taking the ones off towards the firewall is kinda of a pain seeing the fact that theres no room. take those out and slide the bolt trough and your done. note; taking the whole strut out is really easy and makes the job alot easier too. i recomend getting an alignment just in case, seeing the fact you just saved yourself $300, i think you have the money to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts