TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight me and some guys from our club did a custom high-flow intake install on our donated project Thunderbird. It's a '94 with, obviously, a 4.6L V8. For more details look here:
http://clubredline.net/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1196575288

Anyways...

Here are the pics:
We removed the original super-restrictive factory air box and filter:

Bart, Brandon, Greg, and Jay took charge of the project, and then Matt showed up to help finish it off:

We used random pieces of intake parts that I had laying around in my garage that I decided to donate to the project:

And eventually it all came together! Bart took to the task of "ovaling" the middle intake pipe for clearance also:

We used some parts of the original air box to make everything fit right:

It is not done yet! We are still going to relocate the filter down into the cold air behind the bumper. We just need to get a hold of a nice 90* bend intake pipe piece. Also we need to get a decent K&N Air Filter.

Check out this video of the way this intake sounds in person. Totally wild!
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9caf220d-d074-4f39-91fc-9a1c001bbb7f.htm

·
Registered
974 Posts
That thing makes alot of noise. When i had my intake tube set up on my 96 4.6 it wasn't even 25% as loud as that...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks for that advice. We will leave it where it is.

I've done a few "CAI's" before and I've never heard one as noisy as this. Why do you think it's so funny sounding?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
its louder at idle because 1:idling higher ..cold start right? And 2: you ditched the IACs silencer box it looks like, I ditched the silencer box too and it was that much louder

·
Registered
367 Posts
when i did my setup it was louder than ever sounded kinda like a turbo. but i'm also using a race only filter. it's not cotton like k&n and others its a very very thin screen mesh filters that u get at autozone for $34. name powerflow. it got alot quiter though when i took the restriction out of the intake plenum, the indents that were in them are gone. it sucks a ton of air now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
uh where u see that at?

·
Registered
367 Posts
ah haha i see it clubredline need to change ur profile to v8 bud.

·
Registered
663 Posts
no no no its a really rare "big6" package, lol.
over all tho it looks good. im not a fan of sucking air from the radiator but you say your fixing that so kudos.

·
Registered
663 Posts
looks good....just remember when you put the air filter down into the fenderwell, to keep the MAF in the same location that is is now......too far away, and it may throw off some throttle response
why would that make a difference? what would happen if you migrated it up closer to the plenum? i have never heard anything about location of maf before, it just never comes up

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
moving a maf to a different spot or angle can have negative effects and or positive effects. it all depends on how its positioned. For the most ultimate best reading off a maf it would be best to have 1' of pipe before and after the maf with no major jumps of pipe size such as 2" pipe then 3.5" maf. tuned is a different story. You can position a maf and tune it but positioning still counts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
well as i understand it from the reading i've done, during abrupt throttle blade angle changes, especially when it goes from closed to partially open (which is when the greatest change in area occurs), there is a lag that occurs for the EEC to calculate load.......this is because Load is calculated in part from the MAF signal, but soon as you crack the throttle open, the cylinders start filling with air from the intake runners/plenum volume even before the MAF registers any extra airflow (click here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder_head_porting and refer to the pic under "Wave Dynamics" about 4/10 down the page to see an illustration of what i mean)

as i've said countless times before in other posts, Engine Load is one very necessary parameters for fueling and spark to be correct.......the EEC estimates Load during a scenario like this by looking up some tables and what-not in the programming.....ideally you want to minimize the estimating, and use an actual value, which is why you do not want to let the MAF fall behind in its reaction time anymore than it has to by placing it even farther away from the engine......of course you can't put it right in front of the throttle body either because ideally you want completely laminar airflow across the MAF's heated wires, and the severe twists and bends in the intake tube before, and the possibly sharp turns right after the throttle blade would probably necessitate more R&D at the OEM level to get the initial transfer function dialed in correctly........thats probably why most OEM's simply place the MAF at the very beginning of the intake tube right after the airbox, because there is usually a good amount of straight tubing there to get a really good transfer function dialed in initially

so again, this is just how i understand it from what i've read on how the EEC in our cars works

·
Registered
518 Posts
your so smart. ess em are tee smart. i wish you were my dad. lol jk. you need to right a book about our cars.
LMFAO! :uppoint: But he's right Maestro you definitely know ur ####

1 - 17 of 17 Posts