TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I searched, and couldnt realy come up with much, maybe this could be a new sticky?

I just bought a LMAF, and I just wanted to see some pictures of peoples custom intakes. Mine will be on a 95 4.6L, with factory intake plenum.

Thanks for the help guys,

Brandon

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
oh, you mean the intake tube. Dang, I almost thought this was going to be a cool thread :)
-Thomas

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
coggonobrien,

Did you have to cut the hood with that setup?

Thanks for the pics.

I was down at auto zone today looking at their "universal" intake kit, I think I could make something out of that, I basically have the same filter as coggonobrien, but mine fits right on the MAF.

Thanks again for the input,

Brandon

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
255 Posts
intakes are pointless unless you are getting it tuned. just throwing that out there

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
i added a flat spot to mine where the hood would hit. all we did was use a 4 ton floor jack some wood blocks and the front of one of dad's tractors to act as a press and just slowly brought it up. took a couple shots but we get it perfect. also i did notice another mpg and a little quicker throttle response with mine.

·
Resident drifter
649 Posts
my intake gave me a noticeable increase in throttle response, but I am thinking of modifying it so that the filter is not in the fender well. I am concerned about it getting wet. does anyone have a pic of a ram air to the stock location. thats where I am going to have the foam filter, and have a heat shield around it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
intakes are pointless unless you are getting it tuned. just throwing that out there
I bought a LMAF, and chip off of here, for a similar setup. I hope it wont be a total waste will it? I know each engine needs its own tune, just hoping this will get me close.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
well i would think the more air u can bring in and push out is the key to HP so a better intake tube would be a start but then the crappy 94/95 intakes regulate how much air can be fed into the engine, then there is the exhaust to let the air out.,..

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
and the computer is pre-tuned to that approximate amount of air. You will gain power from this, but not as much as you would with tuning the car for it. And the tune also gives you much more power in other aspects, so yes, it will help you tremendously.
-Thomas

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
The chip youre using will be much better with a free flowing intake and exhaust - it is tuned for the LMAF afterall.
There is only so much you can do without porting the heads or changing the intake manifold and getting new cams. The best flowing intake in the world isnt going to make up for the fact that the heads are the most restrictive part on the engine.

- Dan

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
so to sum it all up for you, doin a chip and intake tube will gain you minimal HP and performance without the other mentioned things like exhaust,heads and intake

but u may gain a cool "whooshing" sound and throttle responce lol

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
u will be freeing up potential power. kind of like headers. you will gain a lil bit now with some increased throttle response but every time you change something else you will gain more. now these numbers are complete bs but i'm just using them to explain. say you were to swap intakes manifolds and gain 20 horse. if you had a free flowing intake you might gain 22 or 23, add free flowing exhaust and you might be up around 25. its all a percentage thing

·
Administrator
14,230 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.