TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently removed my Air Silencer and custom fit a tube from my airbox down to the opening in the fog light hole, is this safe to drive in the rain? other than the filter in the box i dont have a cover over the fog light hole, would it cause the white smoke to come out of the exhaust im assuming, any other dangers to worry about?

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
If you drive through a water in the rain it will suck water into the motor and could cause it to hydrolock bending rods. If it is just rain you should be OK

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
all you're gonna get from that set up is a loud intake sound and a very very dirty filter

my suggestion is to replace the airbox for a cone filter and there...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, i know K&N are usually top of the line but if i were tight on money what would something cheaper be? Something maybe comparible just not a K&N?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
id say youll be better with that set up than with a cone filter. ive got a heat shield over my cone and i also have the W&SMotorsports infocenter and that shows the air intake temp, anyway i also have a tube going from under where the airbox was to the opening in the front bumper and a few weeks ago the tube came un-done and it wasnt taking the air from the tube anymore just from under the inner fender. i noticed this via the temp display was hotter than normal. Im talking about 10-12 degrees warmer. so i got under there fixed the tube and the intake air temp when back to normal so if anything your going to be feeding your car cooler air by taking it from outside the car instead of hot air thats traped under the hood or in the inner fender.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
First of all ram air doesn't exsist below airplane speeds. What you want to do is called a cold air intake. We have cold air intake stock.

Here is what you do for the very best intake performance:

Remove the 2nd and 3rd pieces of the intake in the fenderwell. Use a good paper filter and change it once a year.

If you need to get a Bigger MAF, get the airbox that goes with it, and see above.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
btw, im not saying that my setup is any way a 'ramair' setup, im just supplying the airbox with a source of non underhood heated air.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Here is my set-up and it works very well. Go to the greatest auto parts store in the universe, HOME DEPOT, get a 90 degree PVC elbow ($5)and rip out everything else. Get a K&N 7 or nine inch filter and attach it to one end of the elbow. Stick the other end through the hole in the fender well and attach it to the MAF. Drill a hole in the Elbow and put the air Temp reader in there and enjoy. My filter sits right behind my fog lights and I haven't had a problem yet. Also, before I took the filter out from under the hood I couldn't chirp second, stock. After the filter was moved, the tires barked in first and second. If I had a camera I would send you a few pics. Try it out and let me know.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
MN12-Blackbird said:
...Go to the greatest auto parts store in the universe, HOME DEPOT, get a 90 degree PVC elbow ($5)...
What size pvc?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have the 4" lip with a three inch core. I cut off the 4" lips at the three inch part and connected that to my filter. It works great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So i should remove the stock filter in the air box and custom fit (cut) a K&N to fit in the PVC? I currently have the pvc running to the fog light hole and just up through the stock fram filter. What would the difference be wether the filters before the air box or not?

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
don't need to do that.
the only difference you will get for putting the cone filter in the fenderwell is a louder intake sound, that's all

what I did was replaced a the intake tube with a cold air tube from a 94-95 stang gt, connected that to the maf and the maf to the cone filter and then the filter is covered with a custom made plexi glass heat shield i made, it looks awsome
but again there is not real benefits, i just have it for looks

have you thought of doing the richard m setup since you have a 94, here's pic to show what i mean:
(replace the airbox with a cone filter)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I disagree. I get a vacumn sound only when I am parked in a garage and I am gooseing it.

Chris,

You have the right idea, just lose the stocker airbox, connect that pvc to your MAF and connect a cone filter to the other end behind the fog light hole and you will be set.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so put the cone filter like right at the front of the car, outside the engine compartment? And will the cone connect directly to the pvc?

·
Registered
287 Posts
yeah. Using the ring clamp supplied withthe filter you should be able to connect the filter right up to the pipe.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Chris O'Hearn said:
I currently have the pvc running to the fog light hole and just up through the stock fram filter. What would the difference be wether the filters before the air box or not?
No difference. What you have now is almost perfect. As long as you removed middle piece, and I would suggest you drill one hole, about 3/8" in the PVC at the very top before it connects to the airbox. That way if you ever get into deep water, you won't hdro lock the engine. The hole is small enough to not effect the air normally, but if the end gets submerged, it will decrease the vacuum of the intake enough so it can't suck in water.

Clear as mud?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts