TCCoA Forums banner

Custom Rod Thunderbird Body kit????

13K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  DonHolle 
#1 ·
Hi, I was just curious if anyone could help me locate something. I was at a recent all ford swap meet and i seen a Company selling fiberglass body panels to convert a 80's-90's Ford thunderbird to a custom looking rod by replacing the front and rear body panels with fiberglass parts kinda like www.rodsters.com but with a thunderbird base car instead of the S-10 blazer. I've searched a ton and can't find anything about the company. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this company? Or if anyone knows of a website? I'm really interested in finding out more if anyone might know of how i can contact them? Any kinda info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton.
Jonathan

#2 ·
I may be wrong, but, I think I know what you're talking about.

The last I heard, the guy who was making them ended up not selling any, so he gave it up.

I think he put the last kit on ebay....

Like I said, I know that happened, but, I don't know if we're talking about the same guys.

I'm sure someone will clear it up better.

#3 ·
yes. private message "upgrade". while we were at the syracuse nationals, we saw that guy. it turns the front and rear into some wierd looking car. they panels mount right over the existing body panels.

#5 ·
no. he was there on july 20th selling them.

#9 ·
saw them on hotrod Power Tour

They were ok lookin,would be better if bumpers shaved and lowered.Maybe some flames on front...Guy was trying to get me into one...No thanx...I love mine the way it is...Later dudes..

#11 · (Edited)
DonHolle. Nice car... is there a flathead under there too? There's one like it in a museum in Tallahassee, FL they call a "'Bird in a Box". The guy said there were only two ever built? I liked the look of the tail but the hood seemed a little "off" to me...

1 BAD T - How much $$$ was this guy talking to get you into one? His website has no prices...

#12 ·
doodaa - I have an Easy Rods brochure in front of me and he wants $4495 for the basic kit with a special introductory offer of $3995. The lighting kit is $225, sunken trunk license plate is $150 and Briz ribbed aluminum bumpers are $250 each. The person in the museum was definitely wrong, I know of at least 15 more not including the fiberglass kits. About a year ago Bob at Easy Rods told me he had sold 29 kits at that time, so there may be quite a few of these shoebox Thunderbirds running around. As far as the hood looking not right, that is the weak point in this conversion. The T-Bird windshield is raked back at such an angle it's hard to make it look like a 1950 Ford. Plus I wanted my front end low so the front end is tilted forward just a little which makes the windshield intersection look even more strange. It's the one area I'm not happy with on the whole car. When I go to a car show or cruise night I drive my 1940 Ford coupe street rod and my wife drives the Bird and people walk right past my '40 but flock around the Bird. It is an attention getter.

#13 ·
yep im bringing up an old thread that i missed long ago,

Don do you have any more pics of your car or other conversions. i saw a tan/pearl colored one in detroit 2 summers ago. i had seen a purple one in the May '96 HotRod mag, and fell in love with it, i didnt even have a tbird yet, but its always been in the back of my mind to do the conversion. but my plan is to shorten it while im at it. so hopefully ill be the first SWB'49 tbird. i love the new thunderbird its basicly a 55-57 with 02 technology and what could be better than a 96 tbird with a mustang PI motor and a 49/50 ford body!!

when i set up my webpage i had to add the purple one to it and you can see it at the link below.

clicky click!!!!!!!!!!!

#14 ·
VicRattlehead - Thanks for the kind words about the Bird. The car was the most talked about car at the shows I went to this summer, both good and bad. Some people thought it was the neatest thing they saw and others told me I was a butcher for hacking up the two cars. I will email you at your web site the pictures I have of both mine and other shoe box Birds. The one you have on your web site was the first one built but there are plenty more at this time. For a couple of more pictures of my car go to www.hubcapcafe.com and look at the Madison Classics show in Waukesha.

#16 · (Edited)
Nice work Don.

I like it. I respect the work that you went through to finish it. As Keith said before, you've got IRS, a V6/8 and the comforts and handling of a new car in a rod. IMHO, from the pictures I see there would be one further mod to make and that would be a period door handle and possibly the mirrors.

With that hood, you could easily fit a blower or modified intake under there.

Great work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.