TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday i feel like i should have just cut out the middle-man (my engine) and poured quarts of oil directly on the ground...

my car is pouring oil out from the part that the oil filter attaches to... :(

it's at the dealer now, where the oil was changed about 300 miles ago... it's there since the car never leaked a drop before they did the last oil change... i guess they'll let me know what's wrong with it later on today..

·
Registered
890 Posts
maybe the filter was cross threaded when they put it back on?

I don't know why it would wait 300 miles to start leaking, but you never know.

I would let them know that you want your old parts back, whatever they replace, like the filter, connections, etc. so you can see what was wrong for yourself.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's been leaking a little since i had the oil changed, it just started pouring out yesterday...

-----

just got off the phone with them, and they said the "oil cooler" and "sending unit" are bad and need to be replaced at a cost of over $500

----

i also think it's just the part in your pic... so i guess i'll go pick up the car today and replace that and see how it goes...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
My bs meter is twitching.... real strong.

I think I'd ride down there and ask to see exactly where it's leaking from before I spent that much money.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Did MN-12s even come with oil coolers? It's very possible some idiot left the old filter gasket on there and didnt feel it when tightening the new one (this only happens if you don't know what the hell is going on). Or the oil filter expansion housing gasket probably went. I'm guessing for #2. If thats all it is, I would do it myself. Relatively easy to replace.
-Rob

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got back from looking at it... and i don't see anything wrong with the Oil Filter housing... the leak looks like it's coming from the gasket...

i'm goin to get a new gasket, and i'm on my way now to get a new oil filter housing just in case i need it...

then i'm goin to pick up my car from the dealer and tell them to kiss my ***... right now i'm only looking at a $30 diag fee :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but yeah, they basically didn't know what the hell is goin on... they wanted to charge me $200 for that oil filter piece and told me it "could have a pinhole in it"

wtf... could?? why replace something that's not broken...

it would make sense to me to replace the gasket, and then see if it still leaks...

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
oil sending unit takes um.. 2min to swap out? 1.5min to break it off cuz its torqued on something fierce, and 30sec to screw back in and pop the wire back on..

and uh.. its not a CV w/ the po po package so i can't imagine there being an oil cooler

my baby oil leak was the sending unit.. they wanted 120 to swap it out.. i did it during the cam swap and lost a 1/4qt of oil doin it cuz i didn't feel like draining it :D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I had to change the oil filter housing on my bird and the part itself was about 200 bucks. Its not all that bad to do yourself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm goin to get the gasket and a new sending unit today... picked up a housing yesterday... fortunately got that as a freebie from a engine shop :) YAY ME

tonight i get to do the swap...

any pointers??

·
6,253 Posts
use a jack and jack stands.. drain the oil first..:tongue: watch your eyes for falling debris and take your time? :D

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
I'll never take my car back to a dealership again. Back in May my car wouldn't run, it would start, run for a second or two, then die. What was odd was when I unhooked the battery, it would run fine for about an hour, then go crazy. Another thing that confused me is that my CE light wasn't on (later found out the bulb was burnt out). Took it to the garage since I didn't really have any idea what it was and had nothing to go on. The only parts replaced was an EGR sensor and the gasket, $91 for those. Total labor - $382. What a rip!

Job description....Pinpoint P0402, replace DPFE sensor and remove upper intake and clean carbon, retest, no codes found. Also MAF sensor not working.

They wanted another $100+ to do the MAF, but I got one from a junkyard for $10. Now...the odd thing, I had my CE light scanned a while back, it's throwing a P0402 (excess EGR flow) code again. Only thing is, car's running just fine now.

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
what you want is a f6az6840aa its 11.08 retail.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
sounds like they might have double gasket it. sometimes the rubber gasket from the old filter will stay sealed to the housing. When you put the new filter on, the 2 gaskets dont seal exactly and they ultimately leak. Id pull the filter off first and check this. Remember they put the fresh noobs from high school change the oil.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well my repair is complete... it wasn't the oil filter :)

i replaced the aluminum oil filter housing, the oil pressure sending unit, and the gasket... put on a brand new oil filter, new oil, and new coolant...

it turns out that there was some gunk built up on the gasket preventing it from making a good seal... i just replaced the other stuff because i had it there...

too bad i only got 300 miles out of that last oil change... lol...

·
6,253 Posts
damn rookies... don't they know they are supposed to clean the contact points off?

some people man.. and they wanted to charge you how much again?

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
You should have made them pay for your parts. Even though nothing was wrong.. and it was negligence.. it still caused you some frustration... they should give you free filters AND oil.. =P

1 - 20 of 20 Posts