TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am debating weather to swap in my Eibach pro-kit springs, instead of running the cut sport springs that are on the car now. I like the look of the car with the cut springs, it's absolutely slammed, and looks great. However, it's just a bit difficult to live with day-to-day, with speedbumps, driveways, rough roads, etc.

There are issues with bottoming out, and the car riding rough, bouncing down the road, and just generally beating the crap out of itself-there are a few roads here that are just unbelievable with their rough ride, not potholes, just bad, hard to describe...ask the guy who bought my 95, he knows what roads I am talking about.

ANYWAY...would the Eibach springs make for a better, less bouncy ride?

Also, I noticed that my upper control arms are pushed "up" from the car being so low...wouldn't this be harder on ball joints? Would eibach springs help to retain more of the stock suspension geometry with the way the UCA's are supposed to sit?

thanks

Earl

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well, I can guarantee the eibach pro-kit springs will not be a step forward in rideability. My 94 has 1.5" lowering Eibachs in it and it rides like a lumber truck. It took me three weeks after buying it to derattle it and everywhere I go, I am searching for the smooth areas of the street. If I had a set of stock springs that I could cut down, I would consider swapping my Eibachs for them.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I had cut standard V8 springs and then went to the Eibachs on my 94 V8. I much prefered the Eibachs. The first inch or so is nice and soft, but in cornering they get stiffer. I really liked the variable rate of the Eibachs and if I ever go to springs on my LSC, that is what I will go with.

They do take a little getting used to though since they are variable.

But just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Lol the best way to discribe the road he travels on is think about that suspension bridge accident way back when where the whole bridge started swaying in the wind left and right and the drive deck started twisting that's the road.... with no shoulders and swamp land on either side with a 50mph speed limit. You guys are nuts.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the infinately adjustable koni's up front and KYB's in the rear...when I bought the car, the koni's where turned all the way up to stiff...I backed them down all the way, totally changed things, then I tightened them half way...50 percent is tolerable.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
You looking to trade your Eibach's for a set of SC springs ? ;)

I might also have a set of Intrax but they will drop you more than 2 inches, may be too much for you.

Not a fan of KONI's either ..

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, techinically, I have SC springs...I don't know, I almost think I want to go with airbags to keep the b i t c h i n' LOW look, but have some ride quality....

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
My 97 is lowered on tokico 1 1/4" drop springs and tokico blue shocks the rear is very stiff but that could be due to chassis bracing (boxed v-brace, rear torsional load brace, sc L-braces, rear shock tower brace) and the front is a bit softer probably due to chassis flex but idk. My lincoln mark vIII was lowered with 2" spring tech or suspension techniques I don't remember lol their blue, but they were low and firm not to tight for regular driving but not to soft for corners. Although with a 2" drop I had to be careful over speedbumps.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I have to be careful over speedbumps and stuff...I might just leave it the way it is...my concen is added stress on the ball joints up front.

I have a shock tower brace on the rear of this car, along with a swaybar, and it is pretty stiff. I will probably add SC L brackets and keep the non folding rear seat...I would love to have a fold down rear, but what to do for upholstry, I like the stock green cloth in this car too much to go mis-matching it.

Quesion, what do you mean by "boxed V brace"??

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I had a v-brace boxed with 1/8" (I think) steel it's a fully boxed v-brace.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
did it help?

I want to get a front strut tower brace....basically I'd like to add either ALL the chassis bracing that SCP sells, or, if I could, I'd like to get the rest of the suspension bracing parts that ?johny langton? sold...I think that's where this RSTB came from.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I did notice a small gain, nothing to write home about.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Yeah I have to be careful over speedbumps and stuff...I might just leave it the way it is...my concen is added stress on the ball joints up front.
Youre supposed to drive slow over speed bumps anyways ... ;) I wouldnt worry about the ball joints - are yours all in good condition ?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Youre supposed to drive slow over speed bumps anyways ... ;) I wouldnt worry about the ball joints - are yours all in good condition ?
I drive slow and at an angle ove them, sometimes the exhaust scrapes a bit on them...not bad, I just don't like it. The ball joints are fine, the boots are splitting though, which I worry about.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I'll trade some nice new Gabriel shocks with stock V8 springs for the konis and eibachs, if you want.

Sounds like we each want what the other has... :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts