TCCoA Forums banner

cut springs, just worried

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  seawalkersee 
#1 ·
so i cut 1 and 3/4 coil off on one side on the front, it got dark before i could do the other side, and it only seemed to drop 1/2" it got me thinking it could be the sway bar is under load from the other side being at stock height still so should i cut the other side identical and go from there or should i keep cutting on the side ive been working on until i reach my desired height? i only want 1.5" to 2" drop.

#2 ·
Trim the other side and see where it sits. If it is not low enough for you trim each side a bit more.

I had to fine tune each side a bit until it sat low enough and perfectly even.

#3 ·
Did you cut the spring while it was on the car?

How was the ride quality afterwards?

I'm trying to get a smother ride with mine and it seems like the stock springs hardly compress at all with the weight of the car. So I'm thinking that's why a get a big shudder when I go over those uneven gaps in the concrete that suddenly drops 2"-3". Maybe the car just doesn't have enough extension travel. Idk, just a guess.

#8 ·
You have probably never been in a car with the properly cut springs then. I have them cut on mine. Like the stance. The ride is almost the EXACT same as with the factory height. I only wanted to lower it a small amount and cut 1 coil off of each spring. Worked really well. Has been that way for several years with no ill effects.

If you go too much, you can run into problems with alignment, sway bar end links, and other suspension components, so keep that in mind.

SWS

#7 ·
Cutting springs with a torch is bound to be a depressing experience, with a sinking feeling at the end.

:rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.