TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here runs cutouts on their exhaust systems?

I'm looking specifically for the kind that can be operated with a pull cable/knob, etc., not the kind that would require stopping the car, getting underneath and uncapping stuff.

Traditionally, these Y-connection types seem to be made of cast iron....not ideal for welding to carbon steel/galvanized/stainless exhaust piping. How exactly are these fastened together? Exhaust pipe slips over them and gets clamped?

I think I have a few great ideas (secret until I can test them first) for running cutouts on my car.....just need some info before I go buying stuff that wouldn't work for me. And summer's coming, so after I do what I want to do, I'll be sure to share the ideas and lots of pics.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
i once used two ford factory 65mm throttle bodies and made steel falnges to bolt them too for a cheap cutout

·
Registered
129 Posts
of course everything cool is illegal, you could just switch them out for inspection then slap em back on, not an easy task but hey it's an option

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm fairly certain they won't be crawling under your car and going... uhhh what is this :confused:??? You can try and clamp them perhaps? I drew up some plans for a set of spring loaded cutouts in solid works a while back, maybe I could find the drawing again. It was based on some Summit Racing 2.5 inch units.

However, I heard the valves on the 4.6 will get burnt out if you run cutouts open for too long. Is this possible?

·
Registered
129 Posts
lmao that's a funny thought "sir would you mind explaining these?" - "ummmmmmmm............ AAA uuhhhh OOOO"

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
However, I heard the valves on the 4.6 will get burnt out if you run cutouts open for too long. Is this possible?
i dont know how that rumor got started

·
Registered
814 Posts
The reason a valve would warp is usually only on a new engine with open headers/manifolds on it. What happens sometimes is when the engine is hot and tight, when you shut if off it may have a tendency to turn backwards a couple of revolutions. It will sound like it's dieseling. With open headers it has a short distance to come for some cold air to get in there, hence a warped valve/'s. I have seen this actually happen to customers driving and open header car to get exhaust.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm....illegal? :confused:

I wouldn't know about that here in Wisconsin....as far as I know there are only emission inspections in Milwaukee.

I don't have anything started just yet, (no garage to work in, and it's finally starting to get nice out here in WI) but a lot of "looks good on paper" ideas.

And I'm not planning on using the cutouts to dump open manifold/header exhaust though (I'm sure that would make it illegal)....actually I discovered I seem to have this fetish for sidepipes, and want to have both sidepiped and stock exhaust systems available at the touch of a switch, or even dependant on engine vacuum. Whoa! Cool stuff to think about, right? And since I'm a "do-it-yer-self" kind of guy with tons of metal fabbing and welding experience and not a lot of ching to spare, I come up with all these (seemingly) kickbutt ideas on how to get it on without spending a ton of $$. I love it.

But yeah, I just let a part of that secret out. Like I said though, after I get it done the way I want it, there'll be nothing secret about it, as I'll have all the info and pics to share here. Just wanted to clear that up. I like sneaky, but I value giving good advice as well as receiving. Just want to make sure things work out before blabbing all about it, y'know? I'd really hate to lead someone on about an idea only to find that the idea actually sucks in the real world.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Well then. Go with the electric ones. You'll have to buy the cut out and then the actuator. It is called QTP I think. That is a start. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts