TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tired to do this, It seems impossible.

When you get near his feet, the will either yep and bite, or growl and bite.

Last time we took him to the vet and they had to tranquilize him just to cut his toe nails.

Is there any type of way I could use store bought tranqs and attempt this, The vet cost me $42 last time.

I would just try to muzzle him but he jerks around and im kinda afraid Ill cut it at the vien.

Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Our dog used to be real picky about having her feet messed with, triming the nails and the hair between the pads etc. Once we bought the muzzle and used it a few times now she lets us do it with no problem. I honestly wouldn't use a tranq at home. At the vets office they have the equipment to take care of the dog if the dose is too high or the dog reacts badly to it...

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GreenBird said:
take him for walks on the sidewalk or pavement and you won't have to cut them.
That is a cause of arthitis in dogs.

Thanks Shadow for the info, Why do you need to cut the hair inbetween the paws?

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
My dog has long hair and the hair between the pads will mat and cause the area to become even more tender than usual.

Oh yeah, of course it always helps to have one person cradling the dogs head and trying to sooth it while the other person holds the foot and tries to trim the nails.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
My Doberman Pinscher just lays there, and lets me cut them, no problem. But I've been doing it every 3 weeks to him since he was a puppy. Now my wife's Chihuahua just gets hers clipped whenever she goes to the Vets office, they do it for free with checkups and such.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
Just get the person they trust the most in the household to be there to comfort them... Our dog used to get sketched out too.. She is good with it now...

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I cut them on my Doberman and my Australian Sheperd once. After that they nawed on them on their own to keep them trimmed.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
93sleeper said:
That is a cause of arthitis in dogs.
My dog lived to 15 years and never showed a joint problem :2huh:

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
I used to do it to my pittbull in the morning while she was half asleep and didnt care what was going on. Also, be very careful of the vein that runs through the upper part of the nail. Dont cut too deep, if you cut the vein it doesnt clot very well, same is case with the dew nails.

joseph

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
Yeah my dog is 13, no signs of arthritis yet, she goes up stairs, walked on pavement her whole life... Hrm, I never heard that.... I heard not to have them on hot pavement. How do you even keep a dog from walking on pavement, everything is paved to get anywhere that is soft ground anyway... at least where I live...

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Well, you see, out in the country, people have lawns! It's like having your own personal park. With grass, trees, flowers, and a pond! :tongue:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live out in the country too, but my dog is an inside dog that walks on the laminate floor and on the driveway down to get the mail with me. It just seems lately that he is taking it slower and his nails are so long that they cross each other and sometimes get caught in things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts