TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting most of the bugs worked out of my project '97 but everytime I get something fixed, I find something else lol.

I just replaced the TPS because it was having shifting issues. Those problems cleared up, but now the car acts like the motor is cutting out while I'm cruising. This causes the car to jerk noticeably. The best descriptor I can offer is it's like hitting a rev limiter or govenor while in gear. When accelerating the car is fine. No CEL. I pulled a plug which looked fine and the wires appear to have been changed within the couple of years. No dummy lights turn on and the gauges look fine.

I have also noticed that when the car idles it fluctuates RPMs in apparent cycles. It will idle at 600rpm for a minute or so, then bump up to 800 or so for 30 seconds, then drop back down. I also get a shudder when the car is in gear. I'm offering this info just in case it's of any help in identifying the cause of the main issue I'm asking about.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Mine acted like that a few years ago and I finally traced it down to a faulty coil pack. Worth checking. Mine checked out good until a fellow TCCoA member found one wire not firing. Replaced the coil pack and he used one of his old wires....still purring along like a kitten with his old wire. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check your trans fluid. Will it "buck" in 4th gear?? I'd call it "hickups" ??

Yes that's it. The reason I suspected ignition is because of the variable idle. I guess I'll change the tranny fluid and add the idle issue to my list.

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Well it could be an Untorqued Valve body. In my 97, id would drop and raise idle in drive erratically... it was the WEIRDEST problem. Sometimes it would be fine, sometimes it would act up. I'd say do a J-mod, update the accumulator parts, a trans cooler, and 14 quarts of Merc. V! And if you do it, make sure you tighten the VB Bolts in the specified order, and 3 step them! like 8in lbs, then retorque everthing to 15in lbs, then to the specified torque range. It's worth it to do this anyway, even if it isn't your problem. =)

My guess would've been in my car, the fluid was seeping over to other passages in the Valve Body, trying to shift the car into another gear like reverse or something. But the "hickups" could also mean a bad Torque Converter or pssibly something else. It's real hard to diagnose on the net, just givin ya some advice =)

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
You said you replaced the TPS because you had shifting issues? Did you mean the MLPS?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts